Level Number in the output columns

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

abc123
Premium Member
Premium Member

Level Number in the output columns

Post by abc123 »

I am trying understand a job where, in the transformer stage, on one of the output column tabs, I see the column called Level Number. How do I display this column on the 2nd tab?

I tried to put in a value in the Level number box in the Edit Column Metadata window. That doesn't do it.
sud
Premium Member
Premium Member

Re: Level Number in the output columns

Post by sud »

If you are already able to see the column defined, it should be out there, probably you have to scroll or something.
It took me fifteen years to discover I had no talent for ETL, but I couldn't give it up because by that time I was too famous.
kumar_s
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kumar_s »

Right click on the Column grid, properties to Enable it on other Tab.
Impossible doesn't mean 'it is not possible' actually means... 'NOBODY HAS DONE IT SO FAR'
abc123
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by abc123 »

kumar_s, just right clicking will not show the column. I had already tried that. What's interesting is, on one tab, it shows Level Number and on the other it doesn't. On the tab on which it shows Level Number, I went to Edit Column Meta Data window and I cleared the Level Number box on bottom/left for all columns. This makes the Level Number column disappear. However, if I insert the value again in the Level Number box, the column does not reappear. This is really baffling!
kumar_s
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kumar_s »

You mean to say, the option is not available in Edit Column Meta Data window at all?
What is the output stages for both the link? Are you handling mainframe data?
Impossible doesn't mean 'it is not possible' actually means... 'NOBODY HAS DONE IT SO FAR'
abc123
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by abc123 »

I am working with mainframe data but this is from within a transformer stage. There is no Level Number input column. There is a box in Edit Column Meta Data (on the output column tabs) called Level Number
but putting in a value in there does not save it nor is a column added.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

You have to click Apply to get anything saved.

I would recommend editing the table definition in the Repository to add the Occurs value, and then to load the table definition into your job from there.

You might also try editing the column definition on the other end (the passive stage end) of its link.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
abc123
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by abc123 »

How do you add the Occurs value in the repository?
kumar_s
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kumar_s »

Simply save the other tab metadata which has Occurs in it and reload that into the tab where you like to have.
abc123
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by abc123 »

Ok. I got the answer (I think!). The table definition was imported from mainframe COBOL File Definition. That's why I could not add it.
kumar_s
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kumar_s »

Really? But metadata from Cobol file Definition would have Level Number in it.
abc123
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by abc123 »

Yes, the metadata did. That's why I could not add it on the second tab.