Project deleted but still exists

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

dspxguy
Participant

Project deleted but still exists

Post by dspxguy »

hi,
Project deleted from administrator, but still exists in datastage project path on Unix.

pls advise.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Project was incompletely deleted. Does it show up on the list of projects in attach dialogs? Does reference to the project appear in the UV_SCHEMA table?
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
kumar_s
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kumar_s »

Was the Administrator client been closed before the process completion?
As mentioned, this might cause the partial deletion.
Check the presence of the project record in both UV_SCHEMA and as well as UV.ACCOUNT.

Code: Select all

SELECT * FROM UV_SCHEMA WHERE SCHEMA_NAME = 'project'
SELECT * FROM UV.ACCOUNT WHERE @ID = 'project'
If found you need to delete those entry. Once it is done, you can carfully Delete the unix Project folder, if found again.

But before that, take a backup of all the available project at project level as well as Unix level.
Impossible doesn't mean 'it is not possible' actually means... 'NOBODY HAS DONE IT SO FAR'
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Bad advice, not least because you can not simply delete entries from UV_SCHEMA and secondarily because a semi-colon terminator is required for each DataStage/SQL statement. And, third, UV.ACCOUNT is not accessible, by default, from the Administrator client without creating a pointer to it. Checking UV_SCHEMA will suffice for determining how far along the deletion process got.

We await a response from dspxguy.
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
kumar_s
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kumar_s »

Hi Ray,
May I know what do you refer as "UV.ACCOUNT is not accessible, by default, from the Administrator client without creating a pointer to it."?
What kind of pointer should be created and where?
I dont remember creating any pointer as such.
Impossible doesn't mean 'it is not possible' actually means... 'NOBODY HAS DONE IT SO FAR'
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

There is no pointer to UV.ACCOUNT in a DataStage project's VOC, as installed.

It may have been created there explicitly (for example using SETFILE) or implicitly (for example by using certain options of DS.TOOLS), but it's not there by default.
dspxguy
Participant

Post by dspxguy »

Gentlemen,

I ran these commands from UV prompt

Code: Select all

SELECT * FROM UV.ACCOUNT; 

SELECT * FROM UV_SCHEMA; 
didnt find the deleted project there, i dont even see it in the project down list in the client components. but it is still in Unix $DSHOME ../Projects/
dspxguy
Participant

Post by dspxguy »

Should we always delete a project from UV instead of Administrator?
I got this message after I deleted the project from admin.

Failed to delete all components .......
kcbland
Participant

Post by kcbland »

Always use Administrator. Your project couldn't be deleted because there may have been a permissions issue with just one single object within the directory. Folks who let their jobs write files to the project location run the risk of leaving behind files that can't be removed. You've probably got some files that prevented the total remove of the project. If it's gone from the project drop down lists and doesn't show up in the UV.ACCOUNT, it's up to you if you do a physical unix-level removal. If it's not using up much space leave it alone, otherwise, remove any user files within to reclaim space. If it's still an issue, then you can consider an "rm" to get rid of it.
Kenneth Bland

Belt: First degree black
Fight name: Captain Hook
Signature knockout: right upper cut followed by left hook
Signature submission: Crucifix combined with leg triangle
kumar_s
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kumar_s »

ray.wurlod wrote:There is no pointer to UV.ACCOUNT in a DataStage project's VOC, as installed.

It may have been created there explicitly (for example using SETFILE) or implicitly (for example by using certain options of DS.TOOLS), but it's not there by default.
May be implicitly! We never created a explicit pointer so far in any of my previous projects. Still worked.
kumar_s
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kumar_s »

If I were you, I would first backup, then move the folder to a different location, to make sure everything else functions as normal it use to be. Then use rm.