EBCDIC ! and ] not translated properly

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

horserider
Participant

EBCDIC ! and ] not translated properly

Post by horserider »

STEP (1) Downloading the Mainframe File as Binary.
STEP (2) Reading downloaded file through CFF Stage.

This is working perfectly fine for all chanracters except ! and ] characters in mainframe. When I compare the data between mainframe data and final processed data in UNIX

Character ! in mainframe is converted to ] in ASCII (UNIX Env)
Character ] in mainframe is converted to ' ' (blank) in ASCII (UNIX Env)

I know that we can use some forced conversion like reading the SEQ() for ! and ] when reading data in Step 2 and then changing back to ! and ] in ASCII, but question is

"When all other characters are converted proplerly using the same 2 steps, wny not EBCDIC ! and ] characters? Is there any documentation for this issue?
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Look in the DataStage BASIC manual for an Appendix containing EBCDIC and ACCII codes. As to why they're not "translating" properly that will depend largely on how you are getting them out of the mainframe. Examine the received file with a hex editor and see what's actually arrived on the UNIX machine.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
horserider
Participant

Post by horserider »

(1) Character ] on mainframe (with a HEX VALUE BB ) is being converted to ' ' (blank) (SEQ of 1A) in Data Stage Server.

(2) Character ! on mainframe (with a HEX VALUE 5A ) is being converted to ] (SEQ of 5D) in Data Stage Server.
bcarlson
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by bcarlson »

I am not entirely sure of this and am dong some checking on my own. However, as I recall there are multiple code pages that represent EBCDIC aand ASCII and the conversions between then, and there are subtle variations in them.

I was given a printout that referenced this website:

Conversion character differences between CCSID 037 and CCSID 500

I'll see if I can find more info about this from my past email chain.

Brad.
It is not that I am addicted to coffee, it's just that I need it to survive.