Calling Basic Routine in Parallel Job

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

Biggles
Participant

Calling Basic Routine in Parallel Job

Post by Biggles »

I am attempting to call a Basic routine in a parallel job - through the parallel transform it doesnt seem possible - I read here that it is possible to use aserver transform in a parallel job and therefore call the server routine - but that was a 7x post. Has anyone managed this in 8x ? Doesnt seem to want to fly.....
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Welcome aboard. :D

Parallel routines (callable from parallel Transformer stage) must be written in C++. This stage type does not support DataStage BASIC routines. In any version of DataStage.

If you want to call a BASIC routine you need a BASIC Transformer stage. But this, too, has its downsides (Search for more information).
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
Rubu
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Rubu »

I guess, correct me if I am wrong, a Basic Transformer can only be used in SMP servers.
Regards
Palas
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

BASIC Transformer stage can be used in MPP environments, but only in a node pool that contains only the node on which the DataStage server is installed (usually but not necessarily the conductor node).
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
Biggles
Participant

A balance of Server and Parrallel

Post by Biggles »

I guess when you decide to use a basic routine you lose the advantage of parrallelism so within a sequence I am using a mixture of Server and Parrallel jobs - server if I want to call a basic routine, otherwise parrallel. I am not loading an enormous amount of data so the performance difference is minimal.

We are reluctant to start building routines in c++ for maintainability reasons, lack of experience within the company etc....
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Job Sequences themselves do not have any innate parallelism, and BASIC expressions (and therefore routines) can be used throughout.

Well-designed server jobs can process small to medium volumes of data faster than parallel jobs, particularly if the latter have not been well-designed, but also because of the startup overheads incurred with parallel jobs.
DS_FocusGroup
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by DS_FocusGroup »

How would you define small to medium size data ? 5-10M ? 10-20M? 20M-30M ?
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Up to 1GB to 2GB is still medium, depending on the hardware.