Parallel Reads from non-partitioned Oracle table??

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

whenry6000
Premium Member
Premium Member

Parallel Reads from non-partitioned Oracle table??

Post by whenry6000 »

I have a large Oracle 10g table that is not partitioned at this time. It is my understanding that a read from an Oracle table is done sequentially by the Oracle Enterprise stage.
However, I read someone mention that they use multiple Oracle Enterprise stages to read, giving better performance. Is anyone familiar with this technique?? I am assuming they are doing something like having two or three Oracle Enterprise stages where each one does a separate read, for example, one has a query retrieving all data with a date before a certain date, and the other after the date, then running them through a funnel to combine them.

Would something like this increase your performance?? Does it read in parallel, or would Oracle still serve up the data sequentially?

Thanks!
BugFree
Participant

Post by BugFree »

In my understanding using multiple stages will not give a better performance. And most likely will be an over head, because Oracle will still read the full data thrice and then select the records. Not sure though. But if the table is partitioned then the a single oracle stage will be able to read in parallel. Some additional settings has to be done though.
Ping me if I am wrong...