Control characters inserted into Oracle

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

pavankvk
Participant

Control characters inserted into Oracle

Post by pavankvk »

Hi,

I have a datastage job in which the source and target are defined as varchar,but while inserting into the database where the column is defined as 50, i see ^z (ascii 32) being inserted into the table.

if input is say "abc" in the database i see abc padded with ^z till 50 bytes. it appears as a white space,but its actually ^z.

I have replaced the database stage(oracle enterprise) with a peak to see the value. its fine in the peak.

any idea?
pavankvk
Participant

Re: Control characters inserted into Oracle

Post by pavankvk »

pavankvk wrote:Hi,

I have a datastage job in which the source and target are defined as varchar,but while inserting into the database where the column is defined as 50, i see ^z (ascii 32) being inserted into the table.

if input is say "abc" in the database i see abc padded with ^z till 50 bytes. it appears as a white space,but its actually ^z.

I have replaced the database stage(oracle enterprise) with a peak to see the value. its fine in the peak.

any idea?
I verified the input and there are no ^z from the source. even in the intermediate stages, i verified it with peak,but i see them on the database.
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

APT_STRING_PAD_CHAR
pavankvk
Participant

Post by pavankvk »

ArndW wrote:APT_STRING_PAD_CHAR ...
its a single space. when its a varchar, how does this matter?
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

What load method are you using and are these VarChar2 columns?
pavankvk
Participant

Post by pavankvk »

ArndW wrote:What load method are you using and are these VarChar2 columns? ...
Using an Upsert mode with a user defined update only. i have a insert statement instead of update. all columns are varchar2.

with in the oracle stage, in the insert statement if i use trim(orchestrate.column), i dont see these characters though. but i dont want to do that..
pavankvk
Participant

Post by pavankvk »

ArndW wrote:What load method are you using and are these VarChar2 columns? ...
Using an Upsert mode with a user defined update only. i have a insert statement instead of update. all columns are varchar2.

with in the oracle stage, in the insert statement if i use trim(orchestrate.column), i dont see these characters though. but i dont want to do that..
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

That means somewhere in your job you are converting from a fixed length CHAR field to a VarChar and are getting those ^Zs
pavankvk
Participant

Post by pavankvk »

ArndW wrote:That means somewhere in your job you are converting from a fixed length CHAR field to a VarChar and are getting those ^Zs ...
I checked all the stages, from source to target, i dont see any char..each and every stage its defined as varchar
pavankvk
Participant

Post by pavankvk »

pavankvk wrote:
ArndW wrote:That means somewhere in your job you are converting from a fixed length CHAR field to a VarChar and are getting those ^Zs ...
I checked all the stages, from source to target, i dont see any char..each and every stage its defined as varchar
Also, if i USE a Load option instead or regular insert, i dont see those characters. its happening only for a insert.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Does any sequential file stage in your job specify DOS-style line terminators, or process a file that was created in a Windows environment?

Ctrl-Z is the Windows end-of-file marker character.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

I was going to mention that, but they stated they didn't just see one but rather it was coming in as the 'pad' character in varchar fields from some reason. :?
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers