Not able to load sequential file in parallel jobs

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

rramprasad78
Participant

Not able to load sequential file in parallel jobs

Post by rramprasad78 »

Hi,

I have a .dat file which i need to load into a table. The file is fixed-width with no delimiters for fields. The file has 10 different columns and each of the columns i read them as char(n). The total length of the fixed data is 89 chars.
I am not sure if UNIX newline is the record delimiter? Though i tried with and without unix newline delimiter.
Issues that i face while trying to do View Data:
a. I am able to view the data perfectly well for the same table definition in a server job but not in a parallel job. After quite a bit of tug of war, i was able to view the data with 3 chars less in parallel job.
b. I tried a workaround for reading the record as a single entity and then do a substring. This gives a strange output: After the transformer, i inserted a Peek stage and the peek outputs the values as required ie, 89 chars displayed as per table definition. But when it writes to the output sequential file, in the last column last 2 chars are truncated though as per the definition it should have 9 chars, it displays 7 chars only.

If someone has faced an issue similar to these and have an idea of what could be the workarounds or solutions, please help me out.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Ram
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

In the table definition the Display Width is the actual width used in the file. This can be accessed as the Field Width property in extended column properties (Edit Row from the Columns grid).
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
rramprasad78
Participant

Thanks

Post by rramprasad78 »

ray.wurlod wrote:In the table definition the Display Width is the actual width used in the file. This can be accessed as the Field Width property in extended column properties (Edit Row from the Columns grid). ...
Hi Ray,

Thanks for the suggestion. I was not aware of that.
However, my problem got resolved when i created the table definition manually. Earlier, i imported the definition from server job to parallel job. So, now i understand that could possibly be the reason. I am not a master to comment on your suggestion but the puzzle does look falling into places.
If anyone comes through this problem, do try Ray's suggestion and that should definitely save time.

Thanks.

Ramprasad