Difference between Set and Propagate Partitioning?

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

SettValleyConsulting
Premium Member
Premium Member

Difference between Set and Propagate Partitioning?

Post by SettValleyConsulting »

What is the difference between 'Set' and 'Propagate' in the 'Preserve Partitioning' Drop-Down box (usually on the Advanced Tab)?

A colleague encountered the 'Partitioning despite the Preserve Paritioning Flag' warning. I advised to change the Propagate option to 'Clear', he pointed out that he wanted to preserve the partitioning.

Changing the Preserve option to 'Set' removed the warning, and retained the functionality of the job.

The Developers guide just has : This is Propagate by default. It adopts the setting of the previous stage.You can explicitly select Set or Clear. Select Set to request the stage should attempt to maintain the partitioning which is less than crystal.

rgds

Phil Clarke.
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

Propogate partitioning will preserve the partitioning the data went through in the previous stage, where as clear will clear it and repartition to whatever partitioning is specified in the current stage. Please Search on the warning message. This has been discussed before.
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

"Set" is mandatory. "Propagate" is advisory.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
SettValleyConsulting
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by SettValleyConsulting »

Thanks Ray. That simple, huh? Is this documented anywhere?

DSGuru - the question you answered was not the question I asked.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Not in so few words. You have to struggle through the verbiage, but it's there.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.