error while reading file from dataset file

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

Soumya Pradhan
Participant

error while reading file from dataset file

Post by Soumya Pradhan »

*** Error executing command: orchadmin describe -s D:\my datastage flat file\emps2.ds
##I TFCN 000001 00:47:20(000) <main_program>
Ascential DataStage(tm) Enterprise Edition 7.5
Copyright (c) 2004, 1997-2004 Ascential Software Corporation.
All Rights Reserved
##I TCOA 000000 00:47:20(001) <main_program>
ERROR: The descriptor file "D:my" does not exist or is not a file.
##I TCOA 000056 00:47:20(002) <main_program>
For help, type: describe -help

Unable to extract data from dataset file to dataset stage

Can any body plz solv this error. I found this error while reading .ds file from my hird drive in Datastage PX , i set Data set management properly then also the above error coming regularly .
knaveen1980
Participant

dataset reading error

Post by knaveen1980 »

If you know how to set the PX environment, then can you please set that and try to do orchadmin dump <path to dataset> on the server.

It seems from the log that it couldn't pick up the path of the folder you gave D:\my..... I observed that there is a space in the folder name you created and you should rename the folder so that it doesn't have a space and then try to read or else..

you should try to use an escape sequence to ignore the space in the folder.
Cheers,
Naveen
Soumya Pradhan
Participant

tell exactly what i hv to do

Post by Soumya Pradhan »

Thank u for ur reply but again i got the same error
*** Error executing command: orchadmin describe -s D:\datastagefile\emps2.ds
##I TFCN 000001 02:02:20(000) <main_program>
Ascential DataStage(tm) Enterprise Edition 7.5
Copyright (c) 2004, 1997-2004 Ascential Software Corporation.
All Rights Reserved
##I TCOA 000000 02:02:20(001) <main_program>
ERROR: The descriptor file "D:datastagefileemps2.ds" does not exist or is not a file.
##I TCOA 000056 02:02:20(002) <main_program>
For help, type: describe -help

I again unable to retrieve data from dataset file and can any body tel me what exactly i hv to do for overcome this error.. bcoz i got frustrated by that error [/b]
knaveen1980
Participant

dataset reading error

Post by knaveen1980 »

ERROR: The descriptor file "D:datastagefileemps2.ds" does not exist or is not a file.
From the above it shows that all the \ which are required to identify the path are missing. from the above it seems that you are on windows .
please try to put the whole path in double quotes.

as you mentioned the env to set PX from commond prompt for windows or at shell on unix
1. set APT_CONFIG_FILE=<path to default.apt> (normally this will be in ..../DataStage/configurations/default.apt)
set APT_CONFIG_FILE=<path to default.apt> (normally this will be in ..../DataStage/configurations/default.apt) -------on unix

2. set APT_ORCHHOME=<path to PXEngine>---windows
export APT_ORCHHOME=<path to PXEngine>----unix

if windows you don't need to set path and lib
if unix
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH or LIBPATH or SHLIB_PATH=$APT_ORCHHOME/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH or $LIBPATH or $SHLIB_PATH

export PATH=$APT_ORCHHOME/bin:$PATH
Cheers,
Naveen
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Try it with forward slashes. The orchadmin utility really runs under UNIX, so expects forward slashes in pathnames.

It will also be upset by spaces in the pathname, so you need to quote the pathname.

Code: Select all

orchadmin describe -s "D:/my datastage flat file/emps2.ds"

:idea:
Try to use a more meaningful folder name (maybe Controls) for keeping Data Set and File Set control files in.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.