Duplicate rows based on value passed

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

boris_karloff
Premium Member
Premium Member

Duplicate rows based on value passed

Post by boris_karloff »

I have a requirement to be able to duplcate rows in a DSet based on the number of months between two dates.

I am running out of options.

Can DataStage do this? is it possibe (if some one could point me in the right direction)?

If not I guess it would be a case calculating the months difference in DataStage and then using some external script to duplicate the records.

I would prefer to keep it all in DataStage, however if this is not the case then I can start persuing the other avenues,

Thanks,
B
mcs@rajesh
Participant

Post by mcs@rajesh »

Hi
Am sorry that i can't understand your requirement can you be more specific so that i may try to help you.
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

Yes, DataStage can do this, but not with a simple click. First, you need to create a list of elements, in your case the months, i.e. 2007/6 and 2008/3 would result in a string "2007/06,2007/07,2007/08,2007/09,2007/10,2007/11,2007/12,2008/01,2008/02,2008/03". Once you have this string you can use a pivot stage to create one row per value.
boris_karloff
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by boris_karloff »

mcs@rajesh,

No problem,

We have a rows of data i.e.

Start Date , End Date, value 1, value 2.

I need to calculate the months between start and end date (which I think I have got through a transformer).

I then need to duplicate this row based the number of months between the two dates.

So if the differen was 3 I would like to output 3 new rows.

Start Date , End Date, value 1, value 2, Month 1(JAN 1)
Start Date , End Date, value 1, value 2, Month 2(FEB 2)
Start Date , End Date, value 1, value 2, Month 3(MAR 3)

Any more info please ask
boris_karloff
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by boris_karloff »

Thanks ArndW,

I am struggling a bit to get this string built in a transformer, am I corect in thinking that I can't do this in a loop in a transformer.

Can any one offer any help to get me started.

Thanks,
B
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

You will have to write a loop in this case since you have 2 values, the start and end. This would best be done with a wrapper stage.
boris_karloff
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by boris_karloff »

Thanks,

Please excuse my ignorance but I don't seem to find a wrapper stage in my pallette, even when I look to customize my pallette.

Is this and external function ?

B
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

Bad wording on my part, it isn't a wrapper stage, but putting together a wrapper. You can add a "parallel routine" in the routines section. At v 7 you would do that in the manager, at v8 you can do it right in the designer.