IN / NOT IN functions

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

hema177
Participant

IN / NOT IN functions

Post by hema177 »

Is there any way we can use the IN function within Datastage? I have code which runs as follows

IF r_tes.action IN ('TER','RET','RWP','TWB','TWP') THEN v_reason_for_leaving := r_tes.action_reason; ELSIF r_tes.termination_dt = to_date(r_tes.snapshot_key,'YYYY/MM/DD') AND r_tes.empl_status NOT IN ('T','R') THEN ......

and so on for about two pages. I need to know whether these can be coded within datastage and if yes what would be the process?

Any suggestions welcome.

Thanks,

H
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

You can use the INDEX() function, i.e.

Code: Select all

INDEX('TER,RET,RWP,TWB,TWP,',r_tes.action:',',1)
will return a 0 if it isn't "in" the set or a positive integer if it is.
PhilHibbs
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by PhilHibbs »

Code: Select all

INDEX('TER,RET,RWP,TWB,TWP,',r_tes.action:',',1)
That's ok as long as you can identify a separator character that is guaranteed not to appear in your source data. I suppose the :',' also fixes this problem for fixed-length matches. I'm also a little uncomfortable with this from an efficiency point of view, as it is doing a lot of character comparisons. It needs to compare the first character of the search value with every character in the match list, so for a 3-character code like the example it is doing 4 times as many character comparisons as are strictly needed. However, it may be an acceptable approach as long as my first concern is not a problem. It's ideal for single-character matches like your "not in" clause.

Can you tell I used to be an assembly programmer?
Phil Hibbs | Capgemini
Technical Consultant
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Be aware it does a substring match. So if you are looking for 'ABC' in a list that includes 'ABCD' it will report a match / hit.

Check out the Locate function for an exact match.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Locate is a statement in DataStage BASIC, not a function that can be used in a parallel Transformer stage.

Modify stage has a useful lookup_int16_from_string() function if the list of values is fixed, which yours appears to be. It can be constructed to set a default value if the lookup fails.

Otherwise you have to construct the equivalent set of "=" conditions conjoined with Or operators, because there is no IN operator or function available in the Transformer stage.

Another alternative is the DIY alternative - create a BuildOp that performs this task.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

D'oh! Lost track of where I was.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers