EE 7.5.3 and Oracle 10g: error "ds_loadlibrary"

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

coface
Premium Member
Premium Member

EE 7.5.3 and Oracle 10g: error "ds_loadlibrary"

Post by coface »

Hello!
We have installed the DataStage Enterprise Edition (Version 7.5.3) on our UNIX Box (HP-UX 11.23 based on Intel Itanium). To connect to an Oracle database we are using the Oracle OCI stage. That worked fine for "parallel jobs" and "server jobs" when connecting to Oracle 9i.
Now we have installed Oracle 10g - but only the "parallel jobs" can connect to Oracle without any problem. When running a "server job" the following error is raised:
ds_loadlibrary: error in dlopen - Dynamic Error

We already have reinstalled the DataStage Enterprise Edition - the error still occurs.
Has anybody experienced the same kind of problem? Any help will be appriciated.

Rgds
Jan H.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

I had a similiar if not the exact same problem on a Itanium server here. PA-RISC, fine, Itanium, not so fine. That was with 7.5.2, I would think the problem would have been resolved with 7.5.3. There was some kind of odd problem with the installer and IBM Support had me create a soft link from where one of the files lived to where it was really supposed to live. After that, everything worked.

I don't have the details here, I'll see if I can dig them up when I get in the office and will post them here if I can find them. In the meantime, suggest you contact your official Support provider.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Found this, perhaps it will help you as well:
IBM Support wrote:I researched this and found that there is an issue with the OCI stage specifically on Itanium platform connecting to 10G. Please do the following:

1) cd `cat /.dshome`
2) . ./dsenv
3) cd lib
4) ln -s $ORACLE_HOME/lib/libclntsh.so.10.1 libclntsh.so.9.0

Please let me know if this helps.
This did fix the problem we were having.
-craig

coface
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by coface »

Hi Craig,
Many thanks for your help! Seems like that the error doesn't get raised
anymore. Our DataStage developer will perfrom some further tests and check the results.
That must be a bug that the symbolic link does not get created during the installation...

Rgds
Jan H.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Yes indeed, it's a bug. If this does indeed fix your issue, please come back and mark the post as 'Resolved'. :D
-craig

roblew
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by roblew »

FYI, I've had a similar issue on our environment.

We're running "Information Server" DataStage EE v8.0.1 on RedHat Linux AS4.0 (without NLS). We have Oracle client v10.2.0.3 installed on the DataStage Server.

I had the following issue when using the Oracle Enterprise stage connecting to a 9i database:

Code: Select all

>##E IIS-DSEE-TOSH-00205 12:54:36(005) <main_program> PATH search failure: 
>##E IIS-DSEE-TFOG-00006 12:54:36(006) <main_program> Error loading "orchoracle": Could not load "orchoracle": libclntsh.so.9.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory.
>##E IIS-DSEE-TOSH-00384 12:54:36(007) <main_program> Could not locate operator definition, wrapper, or Unix command for "oraread"; please check that all needed libraries are preloaded, and check the PATH for the wrappers
>##E IIS-DSEE-TCOS-00029 12:54:36(008) <main_program> Creation of a step finished with status = FAILED.
After following the suggestions provided in this post, I created a new link to the existing libclntsh.so.10.1 library, named libclntsh.so.9.0.

$ pwd
/oracle/v1020/lib
$ ln -s libclntsh.so.10.1 libclntsh.so.9.0
$ ls -l libclntsh.so*
lrwxrwxrwx  1 oracle dba       17 Feb  4 14:14 libclntsh.so -> libclntsh.so.10.1
-rwxrwxr-x  1 oracle dba 18762364 Feb  4 14:14 libclntsh.so.10.1
lrwxrwxrwx  1 oracle dba       17 Apr 25 13:30 libclntsh.so.9.0 -> libclntsh.so.10.1
I can also confirm that creating this link under $DSHOME/lib (versus $ORACLE_HOME/lib) also resolved my issue.
for example:

$ pwd
/vend/IBM/InformationServer/Server/DSEngine/lib
$ ln -s $ORACLE_HOME/lib/libclntsh.so.10.1 libclntsh.so.9.0
I'm really wondering why DataStage is looking for "libclntsh.so.9.0" specifically, instead of the seemingly more generic "libclntsh.so" which already existed, and I can assume was there from the Oracle client installation (since I don't remember creating the link myself).

Thanks!