DS server move

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

goffinw
Participant

DS server move

Post by goffinw »

We are moving the DataStage installation from one Solaris machine to another one.
Of course we could re-install the DataStage software. But a simple unmount of all concerned filesystems and remount on the new Solaris server seems also be a correct option. All the code, configurations, etc is located in file systems.
The only question left is if there is any DataStage information, which is located in the UNIX filesystems. I only found the symbolic links below.

Please comment wether the filesystem unmount/mount approach is a viable option? And are the links below, the only DataStage objects in the UNIX directories (/, /usr, /etc, /var, ...) that need to be recreated by hand?

lrwxrwxrwx 1 root other 63 Feb 13 2006 /etc/rc2.d/S99ds.rc -> /export/home/rdcdsadm/Ascential/DataStage/DSEngine/sample/ds.rc
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root other 63 Feb 13 2006 /etc/rc0.d/K99ds.rc -> /export/home/rdcdsadm/Ascential/DataStage/DSEngine/sample/ds.rc
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root other 65 Oct 16 14:45 /etc/rc2.d/S99aaads.rc -> /opt/DataStage_oprdsadp/Ascential/DataStage/DSEngine/sample/ds.rc
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root other 65 Oct 16 14:45 /etc/rc0.d/K99aaads.rc -> /opt/DataStage_oprdsadp/Ascential/DataStage/DSEngine/sample/ds.rc

Thanks in advance for all input,
Wim
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

You may have a file called /.dshome.

I don't know whether the unmount/mount technique will work. DataStage internally does not may use of inodes except in the lock tables at run time or when a client is actually connected, so that's a positive for you. The main thing is that everything must be in exactly the same "location" (pathname) on the new server.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
goffinw
Participant

Post by goffinw »

Roy,

indeed. I forgot the /.dshome, which I also will need to copy by hand.
But the version of DS is 7.5.1A. If I'm well informed, it is the first version which officially supports multiple DS servers on a single UNIX box. This is our case. As /.dshome can only point to one of the multiple servers, I deduce that DataStage itself has no need for this file. (Otherwise the second server instance wouldn't be able to work properly) The only dependency on this file would be through customer built scripts and profiles, which may source this file. Would you agree?

Thanks,
Wim
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

In a multiple server install, $DSHOME is not set by default. Read the multiserv.pdf for the details.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

/.dshome is used if $DSHOME is not set. It therefore provides the "default" server to be used.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.