Warning about converting Nullable source to Non Nullable

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

AmeyJoshi14
Participant

Warning about converting Nullable source to Non Nullable

Post by AmeyJoshi14 »

Hi,

I am facing a strange problem.We are having the job which contains following stages:

Code: Select all

Oracle table(ORA_sel)
             |
             |  
Sequential----Lookup---- Target(oracle table)

This job is giving warning as :
ORA_sel: When checking operator: When binding output interface field "SUMMARY_PERIOD_KEY" to field "SUMMARY_PERIOD_KEY": Converting a nullable source to a non-nullable result;
a fatal runtime error could occur; use the modify operator to specify a value to which the null should be converted.

But in the job for (ORA_sel) table the column along with metadata as:
SUMMARY_PERIOD_KEY Number 38 10 NUllable(No)

Table definition is as:
SUMMARY_PERIOD_KEY NOT NULL NUMBER

Why this warning is occuring :( ..even though everything is non-nullable? :?
Thanks in Advance!!
Suman
Participant

Re: Warning about converting Nullable source to Non Nullable

Post by Suman »

Is the key nullable in source file.If it is then change it to nullable in the table as well. This warning will go.
AmeyJoshi14
Participant

Post by AmeyJoshi14 »

As mentioned this column is present only in ORA_sel table and not in the source... I am doing lookup with key column and then i am taking that (SUMMARY_PERIOD_KEY) column from table ORA_sel and populating it in the target..

Thanks for your reply! :!:
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

There's no such thing as non-nullable in the return from a lookup. If the lookup fails and the rule is Continue, then any column from the reference input will be set to null. It follows that any field on the output link that receives one of these columns must also be nullable. Deal with it downstream of the Lookup stage.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.