Install v8 using sudo

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

nick.bond
Charter Member
Charter Member

Install v8 using sudo

Post by nick.bond »

I am meant to be performing the install of v8 on site but it is not possible to get root access. The UNIX admin says that all additional access is granted through sudo.

My question is whether it is sufficient to use sudo root access to perform the install or whether this will just lead to problems. I know that installing v7x using the non-root method would often lead to issues so I am reluctant to perform this install with sudo privileges.

Has anyone done this with success? If so what access do I request? Is it just full root access through sudo?

Thanks for your help.
Regards,

Nick.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Don't equate using 'sudo' to a 'non-root' install, they aren't the same thing, at least not in my book. I've done root installs of 7.x Server just by getting sudo access to the installation script. So, unless someone thinks otherwise, I'd say that should suffice. No guarantees, though. :wink:
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
attu
Participant

Re: Install v8 using sudo

Post by attu »

nick.bond wrote:I am meant to be performing the install of v8 on site but it is not possible to get root access. The UNIX admin says that all additional access is granted through sudo.

My question is whether it is sufficient to use sudo root access to perform the install or whether this will just lead to problems. I know that installing v7x using the non-root method would often lead to issues so I am reluctant to perform this install with sudo privileges.

Has anyone done this with success? If so what access do I request? Is it just full root access through sudo?

Thanks for your help.
Nick,

We are also in a process of installing v8 and out SA will only give us sudo on the install script. Will it be a smooth install of v8 without full root access ?

Please advise.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Having sudo access is the same as having effective user ID 0, which is equivalent to having the root login on the machine except that it can be limited to particular commands. I understand that sudo access is sufficient to install Information Server. But beware that there are more commands than the install script - there is the updater.jar for example.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
Sainath.Srinivasan
Participant

Post by Sainath.Srinivasan »

Having sudo is sufficient to install the product.

The catch will be in cases of pre-installation such as setting mounts and directories.

Ensure that you run sudo only where necessary as otherwise you will land up with an environment where almost everything is owned by root.