problem with dssearch command

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

ssunda6
Participant

problem with dssearch command

Post by ssunda6 »

Hi,

I am using 'dssearch' command in a shell script to list the jobs/sub sequences under each sequence and then capturing the logs of those jobs.

But for a particular sequence , dssearch command did not return the total list of jobs under it. There are actually 6 jobs in the sequence along with some other stages. The dssearch command returned only 2 job names.

Is it a bug in dssearch command or am I missing any option?

I am still not sure if the problem is being caused with other sequences also!

The command that I am using is "dssearch -ljobs -uses -r <projname> <jobname>"

Please provide inputs on this.

Regards,
ssunda.
ssunda6
Participant

Post by ssunda6 »

Hi,

We just found why dssearch was giving incorrect results.

'dssearch' command is listing only those job names which are present in the 'dependencies' tab in the sequence job properties. When we manually added the missing job names in the 'dependencies' tab, dssearch command listed all job names correctly.

Somehow for some sequences all job names are not populated in the 'dependencies' page.

Has anyone faced this problem?

And does 'dssearch' command get the details of job names from the job properties on Datastage designer and not from DS_JOBS, DS_JOBOBJECTS repository tables?

Please provide inputs.
Regards.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

When you add a Job activity to a job sequence, the Dependencies grid is automatically populated. Do your developers delete, or copy/paste Job activities? I am not sure what happens in that case.

dssearch could only retrieve the dependency information from the Repository tables. Designer is ephemeral; it does not need to be open when your execute the dssearch command.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
ssunda6
Participant

Post by ssunda6 »

Ray,

Yes, sometimes we delete, copy/paste job activities for similar jobs and then change properties.

We have observed that when a particular job activity stage is deleted and copied again, it is not getting populated in the 'dependencies' tab.

But truely speaking even after modifications, the dependencies tab is supposed to contain all job names.

And if dssearch command retrieves information from repository tables, it should not give incorrect results!

Please clarify.

Regards.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

What you see in the job properties is precisely what is in the repository tables at the time the job is opened.
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

You can, of course, query the repository tables to find out what's recorded there. You can do this from a TCL command prompt or from the Administrator client command window. A suitable query is (and we should be well into the premium area by now):

Code: Select all

SELECT EVAL "@RECORD<31>" FMT '32L' COL.HDG 'Dependencies' 
FROM   DS_JOBOBJECTS 
WHERE  OBJTYPE = 'J' 
AND    OBJNAME = 'ROOT' 
AND    OBJIDNO = (SELECT JOBNO FROM DS_JOBS WHERE NAME = '<<Sequence or Job Name>>') ;
nkln@you
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by nkln@you »

Hi,
I though of replying to this topic as I searched and found this problem similar to me.

I am facing the same problem with dssearch command.

Only few jobs (which are present in in Dependencies Tab) of the Sequencer are getting displayed using dssearch command

Is there any way that all jobs of the Sequencer could be placed in dependecy tab without manually doing it. (because there are lot of jobs , which are not in dependency Tab. Not sure exactly how many are missing)

If the above thing could be achieved, dsseach could retrive correct and complete jobs.
Aim high
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Naturally it could be achieved, but that's only half the story.

The Dependencies tab should also include any user-written routines invoked in expressions anywhere in the job sequence.

If anyone's planning on creating this utility, don't half-do the job!
sspreethi
Participant

Post by sspreethi »

ssunda, we are facing same issue while using dssearch command. Did you manually change the dependencies in all sequences. Is there any other way to achieve this?