Nodes

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

iamnagus
Participant

Nodes

Post by iamnagus »

The number of NODES increased then we have to increase the NUMBER OF CPUs is to increased? (Y/N)
Raamc
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Raamc »

Number of Nodes interms Number of CPUS in the current system so if you increasing the Number of nodes means increasing the Number of CPUs on the serevr. Isn't It?
Thanks,
Raamc
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

The number of Nodes in an APT_CONFIG configuration and the number of CPUs on a system have absolutely nothing to do with each other. You can run a 100 node configuration on a single CPU system or a 1-node configuration on a 64 CPU system.
The configuration file tells DataStage how many levels of parallelism to run a job with which directly affects how many OS level processes you will have running. Having hundreds of PIDs fired up and running on a single-CPU system will most certainly make the system run slowly and at some time will overload the machine so that things start failing due to timeouts, but if it doesn't fail then the results will still be identical to running the same job and configuration on a 2,4,8, or more CPU system.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

You're only encouraging them to post in the wrong forum!
:roll:
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

Ray - I thought it had already been moved.
iamnagus - Please ignore my post until the moderator moves the thread :|