Dataset Tracking on Different Projects

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

DSDexter
Participant

Dataset Tracking on Different Projects

Post by DSDexter »

Hi,

Is there any way of tracking a dataset in all the projects on a Server?

We have a EDW, where in there are lots of projects. So a dataset created in one project is being used as a source in another project. I need to track down exactly which all projects a particular dataset is being used.

ALL THE PROJECTS LIE ON THE SAME SERVER.

Thanks

DSDexter
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

DataStage is not equipped to shared Data Sets between projects. Because you've managed to trick it is no reason to expect that your trick would be supported by Usage Analysis or any other DataStage tool.

Probably the best you can do is to export each project and search the export file for the Data Set control file name.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

I think sharing a DataSet across projects is valid; it is pretty much the same (in my mind) as sharing a table or sequential file across projects.
There is no builtin method of discovering which DataSets are used in which jobs; but if you have the actual DataSet name hardcoded in the jobs you can examine the .dsx export file and search for that string. If the DataSets are specified in parameters the job is quite a bit harder, but the DSGetParamInfo() routine will let you examine runtime values, so you could program some code in all projects to get the list of DataSets used.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

It's a co-ordination nightmare!
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
ramesh_inform
Participant

Post by ramesh_inform »

It is difficult to use a dataset across projects.. :roll:
ramesh.n.
Teej
Participant

Post by Teej »

Datasets are not meant to be a long term storage option.