STOP/KILL a job

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

Raamc
Premium Member
Premium Member

STOP/KILL a job

Post by Raamc »

I ran a sequnce from Director. It got aborted due to the Errors in one of the job in Sequence. But the other jobs in sequnce are still running. I sent STOP request for those jobs from Director so many times. Even i sent stop requests i am not able to stop those jobs. These jobs are runing from last 10 hours.

Is there any other way to stop jobs from Director?

I did a search in DSXCHANGE with Phrases STOPIING A JOB FROM DIRECTOR/KILLING A JOB. But i couldn't find any threads related to this.
Thanks,
Raamc
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

Try recompiling the job, if its just the status stuck on 'Running' then it will get compiled and adjust the status.
If you are not able to recompile then
a) try killing the database connection, if your jobs have a database stage in it or
b) try passing a dsjob -stop <PROJECT> <JOBNAME> from command line.
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
pavanns
Participant

Post by pavanns »

you can try to clear the status file after u send the abort.. if u try to stop from director many times and there is a network or a DB conn problem at the same time, then it might happen that the command for stop does not alert any o/p signal. Hence the best possible way for this is to see if you can close any connections, close any network connections if possible or kill the process with PID(From DS Admin)
pavan
Raamc
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Raamc »

Hi DSguru,

I am not able to Compile the job. It is giving the message that Job is in Running state.
I am not using any DB Connections in the job. My job just reading the data from Datasets and doing some calculations in transformer and writing into a sequential file.

Pavanns,Can you tell me how to clear the status file and how to kill the PID from DS Admin.
Thanks,
Raamc
dspxlearn
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by dspxlearn »

1. Login to the server with your UNIX id and get into bourne shell , here in example, dev.it.server.com

2. Change you current working directory to DataStage engine directory.
here in example,
$ pwd
/server/etl/ascential/Ascential/DataStage/DSEngine
3. sh
Set the dsenv path
$ . ./dsenv
4. Login to uv
$ uv
>LOGTO PROJECTNAME
>DS.TOOLS
select option 4 from the first menu
select option 4 again from the second menu
5. Look for your job name, if it is locked by your id. If so get the pid (immediate left to your id). note down the pid.
6. Keep pressing "press any continue", until you are out of the list,
7. Select option 9 and give the pid.
Enter pid#=111
OK to logout process 738? (N): Y

You will be all set. Note: This can also be done by logging in to administrator.
Thanks and Regards!!
dspxlearn
Raamc
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Raamc »

The Following Post could solve my problem.
Thanks dspxlearn.

I am new to Unix so can you explain me what 'uv' means (Login to uv.???????)
Thanks,
Raamc
dspxlearn
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by dspxlearn »

Raamc,

'UV' is is not a unix command. UV- UniVerse is your datastage's internal engine. It has been split from a product now owned by IBM and so called as 'UniVerse'.

If you have any trouble in doing it in Unix, you can opt DS Admin provided you have user roles set on it.
Thanks and Regards!!
dspxlearn
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Add an Exception Handler and Terminator to your job sequence. The Terminator will look after issuing the stop requests.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
Raamc
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Raamc »

I killed the job by using DS.TOOLS options.

Thank you for the responses. :D
Thanks,
Raamc