Problem with restarting DS Job Sequencer

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

avenki77
Participant

Problem with restarting DS Job Sequencer

Post by avenki77 »

Hi All,

I have a Sequencer (DS-SEQ1) like this:

DS-JOBA --> CMD-B --> CMD-C --> CMD-D

DS-JOBA => DS Job Creates 3 sequential files
CMD-B => Loads File1
CMD-C => Loads File2
CMD-D => Loads File3

I have 'NOT CHECKED' the 'Do no checkpoint run' box in any of these activities in the Job Sequence.

I call this sequence from within a shell script (say for example SH-A).

When I ran this initially, it ran fine. And when CMD-C failed, if i just rerun SH-A, DS-SEQ1 automatically restarted from CMD-C.

But due to some standards/restrictions, I have to now call SH-A from another DS Job Sequence (MSTR-DS-SEQ). Now, whenever CMD-B or CMD-C fails, and I restart MSTR-DS-SEQ, DS-SEQ1 starts from all over from DS-JOBA.

Why is this? How can I make DS-SEQ1 restart from the point if left and not from the beginning.

When aborted, both the sequecers status say "aborted/restartable".

thanks in advance

Thanks
Venky
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Examine the log entries for DS-SEQ1 in each case. There are entries pertaining to setting and clearing of checkpoints. Are these the same?

Recompiling will destroy checkpoints. Does MSTR-DS-SEQ "reset if required, then run" DS-SEQ1? If so, change the rules so that it only runs DS-SEQ1.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.