job aborted because of heap size

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

aaha_naga
Participant

job aborted because of heap size

Post by aaha_naga »

Hi
MY job aborted due to the reason of "The current soft limit on the data segment (heap) size is less than the hard limit, consider increasing the heap size limit"

where(how) i can handle this.
:)
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

increase that limit with the ulimit -s {size} command; this can be done in the dsenv file so that it affects all DataStage users.
aaha_naga
Participant

Post by aaha_naga »

THANKS A LOT
:)
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Time to mark the thread as Resolved?
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
Kirtikumar
Participant

Post by Kirtikumar »

Arnd, just wondering - can DS have any problem due to the 32 bit limits when we do this change?

Our DS Admins say that to go beyond 2 GB might have problem with other settings due to 32 bit probs. could there be any such problem?
Regards,
S. Kirtikumar.
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

No, DS will not have issues due to this change.
rubik
Participant

Post by rubik »

ArndW wrote:No, DS will not have issues due to this change. ...
ArndW,

Since DataStage is a 32-bit application, wouldn't this mean that it will only utilize up to 2 GB of real memory? We ran into the same heap allocation problem for DS EE 8.x on AIX 5.3. After changing the data segment limit (both Hard and Soft) to unlimited, we still face the same problem.
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

rubik - the original error posted was "The current soft limit on the data segment (heap) size is less than the hard limit, consider increasing the heap size limit"; so how can you be getting the same error message after setting it to unlimited? Or is this another error that might best be covered in a new thread?
rubik
Participant

Post by rubik »

ArndW wrote:rubik - the original error posted was "The current soft limit on the data segment (heap) size is less than the hard limit, consider increasing the heap size limit"; so how can you be getting the same error message after setting it to unlimited? Or is this another error that might best be covered in a new thread?
Sorry for hijacking but it's the same error. Nevertheless pls see the new thread that I've just created viewtopic.php?p=264643 for more details.