Stored procedure returning records with null

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

ag_ram
Premium Member
Premium Member

Stored procedure returning records with null

Post by ag_ram »

Hello

I have no data in tables.

It is still returning 1 row with all the null values in the columns.

If table has 4 rows then it is returning 5 rows with one extra record having all values as null.

Can any one has clue?
ag_ram
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by ag_ram »

Adding to this...

If execute the same select query in toad it is returning 0 records.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Re: Stored procedure returning records with null

Post by chulett »

ag_ram wrote:It is still returning 1 row with all the null values in the columns. If table has 4 rows then it is returning 5 rows with one extra record having all values as null. Can any one has clue?
Assuming this "it" is a stored procedure, then no, with no code posted - no clue. That really should not be a DataStage issue but something with how the SP is coded. And comparing procedural PL/SQL code to a stand-alone select in Toad isn't really valid. IMHO.

Take your issue up with whomever wrote the proc, see what they have to say.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
ag_ram
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by ag_ram »

Hi chulett,

You are right.
I forgot to mention...datastage extracts data from SQL server through stored procedure stage. When I execute the same stored proc in toad, it is returning no records but in datastage, it is extracting 1 record with null values for all the columns.

Let me have a talk with DBA. If anyone has any clue, I welcome all the pointers.

kamal
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Still think that clues will only come from this side of the glass if you post the proc code - and that from someone that speaks SQL Server. Me, I assumed you meant an Oracle procedure.

Interesting, the 'O' in 'TOAD' stood for 'Oracle' but now that it's 'Toad' and they have versions for other databases, I'm going to have to be careful about making that particular assumption. :wink:
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
ag_ram
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by ag_ram »

Hi

I am not able to fix in datastage stored proc stage or in the code (Prepared by DBA). I have made only workaround such as I have put one constraint in the transformer for 3 key columns.(If key columns <> 0 processing the records.)

But if anyone has resolution for it...i will be more happier.
thanks
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Best solution is to demand that the author of the stored procedure fix it so that it returns zero rows if there are zero rows selected.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.