copy dataset from one server to another

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

dnat
Participant

copy dataset from one server to another

Post by dnat »

Hi,

i want to copy a dataset from my development server to system test server. Can anyone tell me what command to use.

Thanks.
ThilSe
Participant

Re: copy dataset from one server to another

Post by ThilSe »

dnat wrote:Hi,

i want to copy a dataset from my development server to system test server. Can anyone tell me what command to use.

Thanks.
In my understanding datasets cannot be copied between servers. We can write the contents of a dataset into a file and then copy it.

Regards,
Senthil
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

That understanding is basically correct.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
dnat
Participant

Post by dnat »

Thanks for the information.
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

As Ray said - you are basically correct that the datasets cannot be easily copied. If your APT_CONFIG file settings point to the same absolute paths on both servers then you could copy the data files and the descriptor file across machines. But it is better to dump the dataset into a sequential file either by using a simple DataStage job or the orchadmin dump command line to generate a file that can be copied across machines and then a small DataStage job to re-load that data into a DataSet.
Chuah
Participant

Re: copy dataset from one server to another

Post by Chuah »

dnat wrote:Hi,

Thanks.
first you need to have a NFS mount on your development server that is pointing to your test server. write a generic job with RCP turned on that has an input dataset and an output dataset. Your output set should have as its directory the remotely mounted filesystem.
manuel.gomez
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by manuel.gomez »

Fantastic topic, answered my question literally

Just to give closure to this: if the .ds file is the descriptor file describing columns, number of records, partitions, .......where is the data itself stored? in the DS_TEMP* folders???

Thanks !!!
attu
Participant

Post by attu »

DS_TEMP would hold temporary copy of your job design, the resource disk in your config file will tell the location of your data stored.