Use of stages from "Development/Debug" area of the

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

dohertys
Participant

Use of stages from "Development/Debug" area of the

Post by dohertys »

I'd been advised not to use a column generator because 'if its in the "Development/Debug" section of the palette its only to be used in Development or debugging - and not in live jobs."

What's your opinion, is there anything wrong with using "Development/Debug" stages in live jobs?
Havoc
Participant

Re: Use of stages from "Development/Debug" area of

Post by Havoc »

dohertys wrote:I'd been advised not to use a column generator because 'if its in the "Development/Debug" section of the palette its only to be used in Development or debugging - and not in live jobs."

What's your opinion, is there anything wrong with using "Development/Debug" stages in live jobs?
I have used stages from the Development/Debug section of the palette several times in multiple projects. There are times when you could just use a column generator stage to match metadata for a funnel stage or for setting a value for a column you need to create. Using a Transformer for this purpose doesn't seem to be wise from a 'performance' point of view. It all depends on requirements,etc.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

See my response to your other thread.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
dohertys
Participant

Post by dohertys »

Thanks all, I'll start using those stages with confidence now.

Just for information, the other thread with ray.wurlod refers to is...
viewtopic.php?t=114683&highlight=