Updating and selecting data from a Sybase table

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

rager
Participant

Updating and selecting data from a Sybase table

Post by rager »

Hi,
There is a requirement where in the incoming data should be stored(insert/update) into a history table and after that two months old data should be selected from that table.

Is there any way to make the select stage run only after the update/insert?
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Welcome aboard.

The simple answer is yes: run it in a separate job, the two jobs controlled by a job sequence.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
rager
Participant

Post by rager »

Hi,
Thanks for the quick reply, we are already using a job sequence and it has a set of predefined stages like extraction, transformation and delivery. It is the standard made by someone high up and they are unwilling to change it. Is there any way to put all this in one job?

I was thinking about using the transaction isolation for both the insert/update and select "read committed" and then use a remove duplicates on the key.

Do you think it is a good idea? There will be a performance impact, and i hope that database will not get locked.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Nothing to prevent you from using lower-level job sequences where necessary. A job sequence is just another job type; it can be run from a Job activity.

On that basis I am not even going to address your other question.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.