user segments active

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

attu
Participant

user segments active

Post by attu »

trying to do a reboot of datastage

all processes are killed, because we had hanging processes..
but after doing bin/uv -admin -info ... i still seee

Code: Select all

Autostart link(s) : /etc/ds.rc
Startup script    : /dsadm/Ascential/DataStage/DSEngine/sample/ds.rc
Cache Segments    : 0 active
User Segments     : 39 active

39 printer segments abandoned!
 DSnum     Uid   Pid  Ppid    C  Stime   Tty      Time Command
39 active segments...should i do a restart?
ps -fu username|grep phantom ...didnt return anything, no one is in datastge and no processes are hanging,
netstat -an|grep 31538 shows listening status of DataStage server, no other processes attached to it.

please advice
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

The report shows all of these to be abandonded "printer shared memory segments". Each DataStage process is allocated one of these when it logs in, and removes it when it logs out normally. Aborting or killed processes may not get the chance to remove their shared memory segments.

They are viewable with an ipcs -m command; they are the ones with 0xadeb.... as their key (assuming that ade is your instance tag). The final four hex digits are the unique DataStage user number.

You can safely shut down DataStage with these abandoned segments present.

If you prefer, you can run dsdlockd -p to remove them.

NEVER kill DataStage processes. Use the Cleanup Resources tool in Director or the process management options on the DS.TOOLS menu, and give things a few minutes to shut down gracefully.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
attu
Participant

Post by attu »

Thanks for the prompt reply.

I already tried to run the dsdlockd -p but it gave a message which I somehow forgot ( no share memory segment , or process not found)

Well, the server reboot did work and hanging connections got cleaned up.
next time would logout a process from ds.tools instead of a kill.

Thanks Ray