Generating Sequence numbers in Parallel Transormer

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

srimitta
Premium Member
Premium Member

Generating Sequence numbers in Parallel Transormer

Post by srimitta »

Hi All,

Scenario 1. Generating Sequence numbers by using Surrogate key option with NextSurrogateKey() utility in Parallel Transform stage.

Scenario 2. calling System varibales @OUTROWNUM in output derivation.

in both Scenario's DataStage job is generating even numbers, I know this is because of more than one partition.

Is there-a-way to generate sequence numbers with-in the Transformer stage, other than using Surrogate Key Generator stage itself.

Any idea is great :idea:

Thanks
srimitta
Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction and skillful execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives.
By William A.Foster
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Use a stage variable initialized to the partition number (or, perhaps, (next available key value + partition number)) and incrementing by partition count. There are system variables that yield these partition values.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
srimitta
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by srimitta »

Thanks Ray for te response.

@PARTITIONNUM
@INROWNUM
@NUMPARTITIONS
@OUTROWNUM

Can you help me in how to use these varibales in Transformer stage to get right sequence.

Thanks
Srimitta
Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction and skillful execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives.
By William A.Foster
srimitta
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by srimitta »

You mean NextSurrogateKey() + @PARTITIONNUM
By William A.Foster
srimitta
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by srimitta »

Sorry for reapeted posts,

You mean (NextSurrogateKey() + @PARTITIONNUM) + @NUMPARTITIONS
By William A.Foster
srimitta
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by srimitta »

Thanks Ray I got it working :)

In output derivation
(NextSurrogateKey() + @PARTITIONNUM) / @NUMPARTITIONS
By William A.Foster
srimitta
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by srimitta »

Oops I could generate sequence numbers from one partition only,
any :idea: what changes do I need to print right sequnce.
By William A.Foster
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

What is occurring on the other partitions?
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
srimitta
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by srimitta »

Transformer input link is reading 7707 rows and writing same number.of (7707) rows into DataSet, but when I try to view data I could see only 50% of total input records.

I checked job log for errors, didn't find any.

Do you think CODE is wrong! or am I missing something here.

Thanks
srimitta
By William A.Foster
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Use the Data Set Management tool to determine how many rows are actually stored on each partition (node).
srimitta
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by srimitta »

Code: Select all

Partitions:
#       Node             Records         Blocks     Bytes
0       node1            3609              38           4893804
1       node2            3703              39           5021268
When I try to view data from Dataset Management it's taking forever.

Any idea if I have to view all rows in DataSet what is that I need to look into.

Thanks
srimita
By William A.Foster
srimitta
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by srimitta »

And one more thing is Data in DataSet not in Sequence order it starts from 1 and after 96 again row starts from 3704 and ends with 3799 and sratrs from 97 ends with 192.

Sequence no changes app after every 95 rows.

Any idea hwat's going-on and how to staight-up this.

Thanks
srimitta
By William A.Foster
laxmi_etl
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by laxmi_etl »

rwierdsm
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by rwierdsm »

srimitta wrote:Thanks Ray I got it working :)

In output derivation
(NextSurrogateKey() + @PARTITIONNUM) / @NUMPARTITIONS
Yikes! What happens when the DS admin guys decide to change the number of partitions in production?

Rob
Rob Wierdsma
Toronto, Canada
bartonbishop.com
srimitta
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by srimitta »

It would be great if you can you help me if you have a better approach.

Thanks
srimitta
By William A.Foster