Rename a job category

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

jreddy
Premium Member
Premium Member

Rename a job category

Post by jreddy »

Is there a way to rename a job category in Designer/Manager? I am having to organize the jobs already created into Separate categories with more meaningful job category names.
Right now i am looking at creating new job categories and moving each individual job to a new destination category one by one, which seems tedious.
Can anyone advise alternate ways to rename category or select multiple jobs to move?

Thanks
gateleys
Premium Member
Premium Member

Re: Rename a job category

Post by gateleys »

I would go with the tedious way because surely there can't be so many categories; and moving jobs from one to the other in Manager doesn't really take all that long.

If you insist, you may want to try the following for test purpose-

1. Create any test job (job_test) in an existing category, say EXST_CAT.
2. Export job_test as a dsx.
3. Open the dsx, and do a find for the term Category or EXST_CAT, and replace EXST_CAT with any new category name.
4. Import the dsx into your project. You will be prompted with the 'Job alreay exists, do you want to overwrite' dialog to which you will say 'YES'. The job job_test should appear in the new category.
gateleys
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

You can certainly 'select multiple jobs to move' - as long as they are all under the same Category, the normal Windows selection methods apply. You can't pick and choose across categories, however.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
jreddy
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by jreddy »

Thanks Craig. The multiple job select seemed to be easiest way. I didnt know we could do that in manager.
gateleys
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by gateleys »

jreddy wrote:Thanks Craig. The multiple job select seemed to be easiest way. I didnt know we could do that in manager.
Arrrghhh!!!!
gateleys