Running the same job multiple times

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

UPS
Premium Member
Premium Member

Running the same job multiple times

Post by UPS »

Hi, I have multiple sequences that will run at the same time, each running a job to load a different table. After that completes, each sequencer calls one common job, that updates a processing status table. My question is, what happens if sequnce a and sequence b are running, and sequence b tries to run the update job while sequence a already has it running? I have a feeling this isnt going to work. Is there a way I can check in my sequence to see if the job is running or not? What would be the best way to accomplish this? I'd prefer to not have to clone this one job multiple times just so I can have it run more than once at a time.
dsnovice
Participant

Post by dsnovice »

Make the update job a multiple instance job. And you can call the job with instance name as the sequence name. If Sequence a is calling it then the update job will be updatejob.a at the same time updatejob.b can run. you dont have to worry about scheduling
UPS
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by UPS »

Excellent. that would work perfectly for me. Sorry if this is a very simple task, but how do I go about making this a multiple instance job?

Edit: Got it, Thanks again!!
Ronetlds
Participant

Post by Ronetlds »

In Job ->

Edit - Job Properties - check box "Allow Multiple Instance"

You can now execute job "JOBNAME" with a qualified name ie:

run JOBNAME.YELLOW

run JOBNAME.GREEN

without having a datastage contention