Broken Connection - Job Locked

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

suresh_k
Premium Member
Premium Member

Broken Connection - Job Locked

Post by suresh_k »

I searched this forum already, read numerous posts and tried almost everything that was suggested in those posts but that did not solve my problem. As a last resort, I am posting this topic. Your help in this matter is much appreciated.

A number of my jobs are locked due to broken connections. I have the deadlock deamon process running every 15 mins which I expected would clean up the locks but it does not (any reason why it does not unlock jobs). When I do the ps -ef command, I see the following processes
xxxxxx 819514 327918 0 Oct 24 - 0:00 dsapi_slave 7 6 0
xxxxxx 835862 278688 0 Oct 24 - 0:00 dsapi_slave 7 6 0
Do I need to kill these processes for the deamon to unlock the jobs?
Also, I don't see the locks in the director's Job Resources screen unless I select the "Show All" under the "Locks" section and I cannot release any of the locks. when I select the "Show by Job", nothing shows up. What is the correct way using the Job Resources function/utility. I was unable to find any documentation.

I've also read on one of the forums to use the UNLOCK user user# ALL. When I issue this command from the administrator, I get the "Verb not found in your VOC" error. Do I have to be an administrator to issue this command.

What else can I do? short of issuing, the kill -9 command, then restarting the datastage server to reset locks and connections. Note: I am not the administrator on this box and don't have access to the dsadm userid.

Also, is there a notion of Administrator group in DataStage? Can anybody else start & stop the server besides the dsadm.

Thanks.
Suresh
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Use the DS.TOOLS menu or the Cleanup Resources facility in Director. If you're not the Administrator, then get the real Administrator to do it - it's an administrative task. The real administrator might also like to try manual execution of dsdlockd -p command.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
surez2000
Premium Member
Premium Member

Try This

Post by surez2000 »

First

run /dsenv and bin/uvsh

SET.FILE UV VOC UV.VOC
COPY FROM UV.VOC TO VOC UNLOCK

LIST.READU EVERY
UNLOCK USER < ID> ALL

Should work fine.
Knowledge is Collection of Facts and Wisdom is Simplifying those Facts.

Suresh Nair
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

Surez2000 (and Suresh),

there are some basic flaws in your (Surez2000) recommendation that might be dangerous to use in a live environment. First off, just issuing a uvsh call will create a UV account in whatever the current directory is. This is a bad thing. If you issue a uvsh call in the $DSHOME directory then you have no need to create a pointer back and your copy of the UNLOCK command will error.
Finally, just removing ALL locks for a user requires logging in as the Datastage administrator id plus the process might still be logged in, thereby causing potential lock problems.

The first thing the poster should try after all else has failed is a simple "kill <pid>" (note that you shouldn't use the "kill -9" signal). If this succeeds then the locks will disappear.