DS Client's performance is very slow.

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

arsheshadri
Participant

DS Client's performance is very slow.

Post by arsheshadri »

Hi,

We are accessing the DS server through remote DS client through a network.

While working on the DS client we have observed that it is taking huge time for each operations such as Opening the designer / director (Takes almost 3 to 4 mins) , compiling a job, performing misc activities while developing a job in designer etc.

The same network is being used by other utilities (Putty, Toad, WinScp etc) for accessing same machine where DS Server is installed but these utilities do not take time.

Can you please let me know is there any tunings or Parameter resettings which can improve the performance.

Thanks & Regards
Sheshadri
Thanks & Regards
Shesha
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Explain what you mean by 'through a network' - by definition the client connects via your network. Do you actually mean a WAN?

If you are not local to the network DataStage is on, it will be slow. That's the nature of the beast and there really aren't any 'tunings' or setting you can use to help outside of the network itself. If you are on a WAN, you might want to consider using something like a Citrix Server to cut down on network traffic and speed things up.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

What else is happening on the network?

The worst case of this symptom I ever encountered was during a Cricket World Cup (I was in India). It turned out that 75 developers (and probably lots of others) were watching the game live in their browsers. Goodbye bandwidth!
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
arsheshadri
Participant

Post by arsheshadri »

[quote="chulett"]Explain what you mean by 'through a network' - [i]by definition [/i]the client connects via your network. Do you actually mean a WAN?

If you are not local to the network DataStage is on, it [b]will[/b] be slow. That's the nature of the beast and there really aren't any 'tunings' or setting you can use to help outside of the network itself. If you are on a WAN, you might want to consider using something like a Citrix Server to cut down on network traffic and speed things up.[/quote]

We are not local to the DS server. We are connecting through VPN and there are around 4 users who concurrently access the DS server.
Thanks & Regards
Shesha
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Then, as noted, it will tend to be "slow".
-craig

Anrewm
Participant

Re: DS Client's performance is very slow.

Post by Anrewm »

arsheshadri wrote:Hi,

We are accessing the DS server through remote DS client through a network.

While working on the DS client we have observed that it is taking huge time for each operations such as Opening the designer / director (Takes almost 3 to 4 mins) , compiling a job, performing misc activities while developing a job in designer etc.

The same network is being used by other utilities (Putty, Toad, WinScp etc) for accessing same machine where DS Server is installed but these utilities do not take time.

Can you please let me know is there any tunings or Parameter resettings which can improve the performance.

Thanks & Regards
Sheshadri
Hi
I am facing a similar situation but the difference is that I am logged into the local network and not VPN. Still it takes 4-5 min to login and same time to open a job or a stage. What could be wrong. I did not have this problem earlier.
My client and server versions are 7.5.2 on Windows Xp and Windows 2003 platforms respectively. :?

appreciate your response.
Thanks
Anrew
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

Anrewm - your problem hasn't been explained sufficiently. If you use telnet to your DataStage server is the performance acceptable? Do tracert and ping show anything out of the ordinary?
Anrewm
Participant

Post by Anrewm »

ArndW wrote:Anrewm - your problem hasn't been explained sufficiently. If you use telnet to your DataStage server is the performance acceptable? Do tracert and ping show anything out of the ordinary? ...
Thanks for your response Arnd.
I am having no problem with my remote access to the server and the performance on the server is normal. I did some traces on the server and found that the server had an AntiVirus program installed and this caused the In/Out process to slow down drastically. Once this was uninstalled things are running fine.
Thanks
Anrew
Anrewm
Participant

Post by Anrewm »

ArndW wrote:Anrewm - your problem hasn't been explained sufficiently. If you use telnet to your DataStage server is the performance acceptable? Do tracert and ping show anything out of the ordinary? ...
I am having no problem with my remote access to the server and the performance on the server is normal. I did some traces on the server and found that the server had an AntiVirus program installed and this caused the In/Out process to slow down drastically. Once this was uninstalled things are running fine.
Thanks
Anrew
Anrewm
Participant

Post by Anrewm »

Thanks
Anrew
gbusson
Participant

Post by gbusson »

Hi, for Anrewm 's problem

maybe your log is too big!

Did sou set up the clear log options in the administrator?

See also the space in your &PH& directory in your project.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Or maybe the server had an antivirus program running on it, slowing everything down? :wink:
-craig

ds

Post by ds »

Hi,

I am facing similar issue of DS Client is very slow while accessing thru VPN. All other my colleagues with similar Laptop configurations are working excellent.

All other apps example , Toad, Putty are doing good. Even when I open Transformer stage and closing without making any changes, it take few seconds to look normal and when I clik on Dataset, very slow to respond.

Apprecaite, if you respond how did you resolve this problem.

Even I tried these option increasing TunnelMTU size by following
http://www.chicagotech.net/vpnslow.htm.
ds

Post by ds »

Forgot to mention, I have uninstalled AVG anti virus software too. But I see alot of svchost.exe running in, when I see Task Manager.
kumar_s
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kumar_s »

Was it the same since you installed the DS client in you Laptop?
Or only lately? If so, you recent intatalation of any application could be the culprit.
Better you can uninstall and reinstall the VPN.
If you ping the DS Server, will it give you quick response. Is tracert ok ?
Impossible doesn't mean 'it is not possible' actually means... 'NOBODY HAS DONE IT SO FAR'