Comparing complete records in Datastage

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

nvuradi
Participant

Comparing complete records in Datastage

Post by nvuradi »

Hi

I have the following columns in my input dataset which is sorted on ColA

colA colB colC colD colE

The data is such that for a single colA it can have multiple values of other columns, for eg the data can be

colA colB colC colD colE

1 1 1 1 1

1 2 1 1 1

1 3 1 1 1

1 4 1 1 1

1 5 1 1 1

2 1 1 1 1

2 2 1 1 1

2 3 1 1 1

2 4 1 1 1

2 5 1 1 1

I need to check the records based on ColA, for value of ColA(1) I need to check the other columns for the next value of colA(2) and so on. If other columns (col B,C,D,E) match exactly for all the colA values then I need to pass only on record to output.

I need to check whether all the records with value of ColA as 1 matched with the all the records with Value of ColA as value other than 1

Basically, I need to compare the current and previous complete records (consisting of 5 columns). If they match, then I have to pass only one such occurrence of the record.

Consider the second scenario

colA colB colC colD colE

1 1 1 1 1

1 2 1 1 1

1 3 1 1 1

1 4 1 1 1

1 5 1 1 1

2 1 1 1 1

2 2 1 1 1

2 3 1 1 1

In this case even though the columns B, C, D, E match for different values of ColA but not all the rows of ColA with value 1 matched with the colA with Value 2, so in this case I need to output 2 records each for different values of ColA.

Any idea how to go about this?
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Have you reviewed the capabilities of the Compare stage?
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
nvuradi
Participant

Post by nvuradi »

ray.wurlod wrote:Have you reviewed the capabilities of the Compare stage? ...
Compare stage compares the data from 2 different input links...and my requirement is to compare the data from the same input file.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Misunderstood. You can do it with stage variables in a Transformer stage, constraining the output for an exact match with what's in the buffer. You could probably leverage the Remove Duplicates stage.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.