Making an ODBC connection to a db2 database

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

suresh_k
Premium Member
Premium Member

Making an ODBC connection to a db2 database

Post by suresh_k »

Background - We do not have a DataStage Administrator and would like some pointers on how to establish a odbc connection to a DB2 database and also a few related questions.
1) Does the remote database need to be cataloged on the ETL server?
2) What does cataloging do on the ETL server?
3) Does cataloging help only with the db2connect? or does it help with establishing an ODBC connect?
4) Can I use the DB2_UDB_Enterprise stage in DS to connect to the database instead of the ODBC stage? How can I determine what stage to use and how can I set up DataStage.
5) How does db2connect make a connection to the remote server (does it use the odbc driver)?
5) In the odbc.ini file, when datasources are being defined, can the userid/password be omitted and passed during job execution and can they be passed-in as a project variable.

Thanks for your time.
Suresh
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

There is a PDF document available from your support provider that goes deeply into the intricacies of setting up DB2 access for DataStage. I suggest that you ask for it. It answers all your questions.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
pathmaker
Premium Member
Premium Member

Re: Making an ODBC connection to a db2 database

Post by pathmaker »

suresh_k wrote:Background - We do not have a DataStage Administrator and would like some pointers on how to establish a odbc connection to a DB2 database and also a few related questions.
1) Does the remote database need to be cataloged on the ETL server?
no
2) What does cataloging do on the ETL server?
catalog configures client to connect to server , just like tnsnames.ora

3) Does cataloging help only with the db2connect? or does it help with
establishing an ODBC connect?
db2 connect not odbc

4) Can I use the DB2_UDB_Enterprise stage in DS to connect to the database instead of the ODBC stage? How can I determine what stage to use and how can I set up DataStage.
db2 api and odbc can be used to connect to db2@zOS
to connect to db2 udb u can use any of those

5) How does db2connect make a connection to the remote server (does it use the odbc driver)?
no it uses db2 client drivers that you need to install

5) In the odbc.ini file, when datasources are being defined, can the userid/password be omitted and passed during job execution and can they be passed-in as a project variable.

yes you have to do that

Thanks for your time.
Suresh
Thanks & Regards
Pratap Bhimireddy
suresh_k
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by suresh_k »

Thanks for the input.