Cant use $PROJDEF in a Parameter Set

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

rleishman
Premium Member
Premium Member

Cant use $PROJDEF in a Parameter Set

Post by rleishman »

The runtime environment variable default $PROJDEF does not appear to work when the parameter is part of a parameter SET. Here's what I did:
  • Create an environment variable $ODMORASID in Administrator and give it a value of XYZ
  • Create a Parameter Set ODM including the $ODMORASID variable.
  • Set the default value for $ODMORASID to $PROJDEF in the param set.
  • Create a job that includes the parameter set. Job reads a single row from a sequential file and writes it to another sequential file.
  • The name of the second sequential file includes the parameter:

Code: Select all

/home/c985675/#ODM.$ODMORASID#.txt
    The parameter was inserted into the filename using the tool button, not typed in freehand.
When I run the job, I get a file called $PROJDEF.txt, rather than XYZ.txt as you would normally expect.

If I change the job to remove the parameter set and replace with a bog standard environment variable parameter defaulted to $PROJDEF, it works (after changing the env var ref in the file name of course).

I found one other unresolved post on DSX similar to this, but stony silence on Google. Can anyone help?
    Ross Leishman
    chulett
    Charter Member
    Charter Member

Post by chulett »

You'd have to take this back to IBM, I would think, see if this is a known issue and if there are any patches to resolve it.
    -craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
    lstsaur
    Participant

Post by lstsaur »

Ross,
    I think your problem is due to missing a Parameter Name.
    Your Parameter Set's name is ODM, but what's your parameter's name inside of Parameter Set.
    So, what I am saying is instead of "#ODM.$ODMORASID#.txt", it should be something like "#ODM.parameter_name.$ODMORASID#.txt".

The problem that I am having with the Parameter Set is that my job is working fine except the output dataset couldn't be viewed.
    rleishman
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Post by rleishman »

Thanks Craig, thought I'd try here first to see if I was doing something stupid (again).

@lstsaur, not sure what you mean. $ODMORASID is the name of the parameter - it's an Environment Variable Parameter within the Parameter Set ODM. I'm pretty sure I have constructed the reference correctly in the File Name; if I hadn't I would get a file called #ODM.$ODMORASID#.txt rather than $PROJDEF.txt.

What I'm saying is that the existence of the file $PROJDEF.txt proves that replacement of the string has occurred, it's just replaced it with the wrong string.

I've discovered something else. When you run a job with a simple Environment Variable parameter set to $PROJDEF, the replaced value (defined in Administrator) shows in the Director job log. When you run a job with an Environment Variable from a Parameter Set set to $PROJDEF, the value that shows in director is "$PROJDEF".

This is consistent with my finding that the file created was called $PROJDEF.txt

I'll post back if I get any joy from IBM.
    Ross Leishman
    rleishman
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Post by rleishman »

Turns out it is a bug.

Resolved in fixpak 1 for all platforms except SUSE Linux

This is the link for fixpak 1 http://www-1.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg24017220
    Ross Leishman