Migration from Linux to Windows

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

patonp
Premium Member
Premium Member

Migration from Linux to Windows

Post by patonp »

I realize that "Windows vs. Unix" is a perennial topic in this forum, but I'll try to narrow my questioning down a bit...

Has anyone migrated from the enterprise version of DS in a Unix environment to the comparable DS version in a Windows environment? What were your observations in terms of differences (if any) in stability and maintanance? (I'd also ask about performance, though I know attempting this comparison is somewhat contentious.)

Also...has anyone attempted the same thing with version 8.0.1?

At various times I've worked in both Windows and Unix environments, and have my own opinions about each OS. However, I also accept that many other differences between the environments (i.e. LAN connectivity, database software etc...) likely also affected my observations. That's why I'm hoping someone can help me more accurately compare "apples to apples".

Thanks,

Peter
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

There is no "comparable version" prior to 8. The only parallel-capable version for Windows is 7.5x2, which does not have a UNIX equivalent. (7.5x2 relies heavily on being able to execute UNIX functions via MKS Toolkit, and you need the .NET C++ compiler installed, so straight away there is the potential for compiler differences, not least that you would need to set APT_COMPILER etc to different values).

The versions are (or should be) compatible in version 8.x, but I have no experience with the migration about which you ask.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.