Have you a trick for : Field not like list of value

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

renaudfa
Participant

Have you a trick for : Field not like list of value

Post by renaudfa »

Hi there,

I'd like to know if someone would have a trick to check if a field does not contain any word in a list of words.

Something doing the check :
If Index(ds1.field,"word01",1) + Index(ds1.field,"word02",1) + Index(ds1.field,"word03",1) + ... + Index(ds1.field,"word99",1) = 0 Then 0 Else 1

without having to write 99 words.

Thanks.
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

Use

Code: Select all

Index("Word01,Word02,Word03,Word04,",ds1.field:',')
It is more efficient as well.
renaudfa
Participant

Post by renaudfa »

Hi ArndW,

I think this is not doing the same thing because I don't want to check if my field is equal to any of the unwanted word but I want to check if my field contains any of those words ... This is the "contains" part which causes me trouble.
It's the same pain in SQL when you have to code
WHERE Field not like '%Word01%' and Field not like '%Word02%' ... Field not like '%Word09%'.
Yuan_Edward
Participant

Post by Yuan_Edward »

If you can do this in UNIX or Oracle (Oracle supports regular expression), pattern matching may help.

Or you could call shell commands in your job somehow, e.g. echo yourfield | grep -c -e "word1|word2..."

Or you could write a parallel routine to achieve this.
renaudfa wrote:Hi ArndW,

I think this is not doing the same thing because I don't want to check if my field is equal to any of the unwanted word but I want to check if my field contains any of those words ... This is the "contains" part which causes me trouble.
WHERE Field not like '%Word01%' and Field not like '%Word02%' ... Field not like '%Word09%'.
Edward Yuan
Yuan_Edward
Participant

Post by Yuan_Edward »

Or if you can afford the cost of Basic Transformer, the server built-in routine MatchField does the trick:)
Yuan_Edward wrote:If you can do this in UNIX or Oracle (Oracle supports regular expression), pattern matching may help.

Or you could call shell commands in your job somehow, e.g. echo yourfield | grep -c -e "word1|word2..."

Edward Yuan
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Seems to me the only way to avoid having to type in and match 99 'words' each time would be to load them once into some kind of lookup structure. Then parse your source down and throw each one against that lookup to see if you get any hits. Other than something like that, I don't see how you do it "without having to write 99 words".
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
Marley777
Premium Member
Premium Member

Index("Word01,Word02,Word03,Word04,",ds1.field:','

Post by Marley777 »

Hi, in regards to

Index("Word01,Word02,Word03,Word04,",ds1.field:',')

I cannot get this to work. I use the same format, but get a transformr error(not enough arguments to function index). Was wondering if someone else was able to get a flavor of this code to work?

Here is what my code looks like.
Index("Agency,Agents,Bank,Inc,",input.field:',')
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Check the help, the Index function requires three arguments - you are missing the instance or occurance number to look for.
-craig

priyadarshikunal
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by priyadarshikunal »

Yuan_Edward wrote:If you can do this in UNIX or Oracle (Oracle supports regular expression), pattern matching may help.

Yuan,

DataStage too supports regular expressions.
Read the orchestrate manual and look for filter stage details.
Priyadarshi Kunal

Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped. :wink:
Marley777
Premium Member
Premium Member

Index("Word01,Word02,Word03,Word04,",ds1.field:','

Post by Marley777 »

Hi everyone, thanks for reading and your suggestions. If I could get this code posted by Arndw to work; it may be all I need.

Arndw's version - Index("Word01,Word02,Word03,Word04,",ds1.field:',')
my version - Index("Agency,Agents,Bank,Inc,",input.field:',')

I get an error asking for more arguments. I not sure what I'm missing. Where does the instance or occurance go? I have never used this format for the Index statement.

I can get this code below to compile and run with no errors, but it will not occomplish what I need. This code below matches what's in the manual. I would rather get the code above working so I can search an input field for lots of strings. Also I would not have to code a routine or server shared container.

Index(DSLink83.FULL_NAME,"ASSOCIATES,SERVICES,SERVICE,MANAGEMENT", 1)

Thanks!!!
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Well, I told you what was missing to allow the function to compile and run, never said it would accomplish what you needed. :wink:

Perhaps this would be more appropriate...

Code: Select all

Index(Convert(",",@FM,"Word01,Word02,Word03,Word04"),ds1.field,1)
You'd obviously need to do the convert outside this function as it only needs to happen once, not over and over on every record.
-craig

Marley777
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Marley777 »

Thanks Chulett, I will give this a try. :lol:
ArndW
Participant

Re: Index("Word01,Word02,Word03,Word04,",ds1.field

Post by ArndW »

RStone wrote:If I could get this code posted by Arndw to work...
Since I neglected the last parameter it won't compile and run, as Craig has posted.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Did you consider using a lookup_int16_from_string() function in a Modify stage? There is no equivalent in a Transformer stage. The table definition in the function can include a default value - I suggest 0.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.