Any way to put parameter?

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

Mhasan
Participant

Any way to put parameter?

Post by Mhasan »

HI,
Is there any automated way to take the paramter from the enviromental variable ... rather then manually entering for each job... if we have many number of source systems ... is there anyway (or routine who can serve the purpose)
Thanks
M A hasan
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

No.

When you upgrade to version 8.0 you get a new construct called a "parameter set", which will make life easier.

But, until then, the answer is no.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
kduke
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kduke »

I would put the parameter values in a text file. Read the text file in a loop. Feed the lines into your jobs one line at a time.
Mamu Kim
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

You might want to clear up exactly what your question is, you've gotten two responses from two different camps. Is this a design question - adding large numbers of parameters to jobs - or a runtime question? :?
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
Mhasan
Participant

Post by Mhasan »

Hi ,
Atucally My question was ....for example ..i have a job A for that i need to define the jobparameter value those are actually defined in Environmemtal variable as userdefined.....i can do this task machanically for each job ..Now my question is Is there any austomated methed to place these Parameter.

Chullete anser response was pretty clear there is no such method to put the parameter..May be it will available in 8x..

But Kduke response confused me little bit ..acording to him he put these parameter value via file ..If it can happen please let me know the process flow to put in.
Thanks
M A hasan
Yuan_Edward
Participant

Post by Yuan_Edward »

Set the value of the environment variables in your job to $PROJDEF, if the
value of the environment variable is subsequently changed (e.g. you can change the value in DS Administrator), the job will pick up the new value without the need for recompiling.

Not sure if this is what you are after.
=============================================
And also, i just realized that the values of environment variables can be overridden the same way as normal job parameters if the job is run from the command line using dsjob.
Mhasan wrote:Hi ,
Atucally My question was ....for example ..i have a job A for that i need to define the jobparameter value those are actually defined in Environmemtal variable as userdefined.....i can do this task machanically for each job ..Now my question is Is there any austomated methed to place these Parameter.

Chullete anser response was pretty clear there is no such method to put the parameter..May be it will available in 8x..

But Kduke response confused me little bit ..acording to him he put these parameter value via file ..If it can happen please let me know the process flow to put in.
Last edited by Yuan_Edward on Thu Sep 20, 2007 1:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Edward Yuan
Yuan_Edward
Participant

Re: Any way to put parameter?

Post by Yuan_Edward »

Is a job parameter better than an environment variable for this case?
Mhasan wrote:if we have many number of source systems ... is there anyway (or routine who can serve the purpose)
Edward Yuan
Mhasan
Participant

Post by Mhasan »

Hi Yuan.

Environmental level we are defining the parameter for each source system.
For each job anyway we need to defien the parameter value if we are not passing the hard coded value to it ..So i posted that query .
Thanks
M A hasan
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

The developer must manually Add Environment Variable to the job parameters grid for each required parameter.

Create a job containing your "standard" set of parameters, and use it as a prototype, and/or create a Template from it. That way at least the manual effort is required only once.

If someone destroys your prototype, by omitting to Save As, the appropriate punishment is for them to create the replacement prototype, ideally by undoing their changes.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.