DB2 Performance Question

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

Havoc
Participant

DB2 Performance Question

Post by Havoc »

We are reading from a DB2 Table which has not been partitioned. This table is being read by a DB2 UDB API Stage (with a node constraint set to node1) . Will there be a performance improvement if we use a DB2 UDB Enterprise stage in reading this table ?

I have read the article where it mentions there is a 250% performance improvement over the API Stage but noticed that it was done on a partitioned table.

Can someone please provide their insights on this ?

Thanks in advance :)
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

No improvement if you continue to use SQL. The DB2 Enterprise will see the table as having a single partition, and therefore operate in sequential mode.
Last edited by ray.wurlod on Wed Sep 12, 2007 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
Havoc
Participant

Post by Havoc »

Okay, I just tried this ....
the read speed from the Enterprise stage tripled! .. Is there an explanation to this ?
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

What else was happening during the API test?
Was the DB2 Enterprise stage set up to use direct read or SQL?
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
Havoc
Participant

Post by Havoc »

ray.wurlod wrote:What else was happening during the API test?
Was the DB2 Enterprise stage set up to use direct read or SQL? ...
Nothing else was happening during the API test. Enterprise stage was set up to read the same SQL. The same SQL as in API stage which involved a join statement.