Sql Server and ODBC

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

rexsmith
Participant

Sql Server and ODBC

Post by rexsmith »

In my tool palette i do not see a plug in or a stage which can access sql server other than ODBC enterprise. Iam using ODBC stage instead for my job designs. As of now i do not see any issue with ODBC stage however what difference it makes accessing a sql server DB using a plugin?
Ultramundane
Participant

Re: Sql Server and ODBC

Post by Ultramundane »

rexsmith wrote:In my tool palette i do not see a plug in or a stage which can access sql server other than ODBC enterprise. Iam using ODBC stage instead for my job designs. As of now i do not see any issue with ODBC stage however what difference it makes accessing a sql server DB using a plugin?
You are on Unix?

On datastage Unix platforms you can only access sql server directly via the ODBC stage. It makes a huge difference when you have the capability of using the bulk loader. It is much faster. If you need this capability you could ftp a file, hand code portions of the job, use other ETL tools, purchase datastage for windows, or use some sort of combination or other method.

I wish IBM would create a datastage sql server agent for windows and had a stage on Unix that could interract with the agent.