Decimal precision warning

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

Sridhar Sivakoti
Participant

Decimal precision warning

Post by Sridhar Sivakoti »

Hi,

Job Details: Source and Targets are Oracle tables

In source table some of the columns are defined as NUMBER and I have taken these columns metadata as Decimal[38] in Source stage. When I run this job I am getting below warning for all these types of columns.

oraStore: When checking operator: When binding output interface field "STORE_AGE_CLS_NUM" to field "STORE_AGE_CLS_NUM": Implicit conversion from source type "decimal[38,10]" to result type "decimal[38,0]": Possible precision limitation.

oraStore,0: Column STORE_AGE_CLS_NUM floating point decimal is not fully supported; adjusting the scale.

I have tried with change in the metadata as Decimal(38,10), but still I am getting the same warnings. Actual data in source table is numbers Ex: 102, 1342 etc...

And the above warnings are comming when query is pulling the data from source tables in Source stage only. Even I am not able to use some transformation functions also here.

Any solution for above problem.Please help on this.

Thanks.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

It's an alert. DataStage is warning you that, in going from a scale of 10 to a scale of 0 you are likely to lose some information. It is also alerting you to the fact that it (DataStage) does not fully support numeric floating point decimal, and that therefore it is adjusting the scale so that the number can be managed.
Try changing your source data type to int32.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
satyanarayana
Participant

Re: Decimal precision warning

Post by satyanarayana »

Hi

fields "STORE_AGE_CLS_NUM" and "STORE_AGE_CLS_NUM" read as Varchar from source and cover to decimal using StringToDecimal.
Sridhar Sivakoti
Participant

Re: Decimal precision warning

Post by Sridhar Sivakoti »

satyanarayana wrote:Hi

fields "STORE_AGE_CLS_NUM" and "STORE_AGE_CLS_NUM" read as Varchar from source and cover to decimal using StringToDecimal.
Thanks for your response Satyanarayana.

But I can not use the StringToDecimal function here, because the warning is comming at source stage(While reading the data from source table by using user defined query). How can I read as Varchar and convert into Decimal. Can you explain in more clear.

Thanks
Maveric
Participant

Post by Maveric »

You can safely suppress the warnings to informational in the director log if you are sure the input value is always integer and will have no decimal value.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

You could write a strong letter of complaint to Oracle bin Larry for not following the SQL standards that the rest of the world follows.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.