Short and Long day

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

ag_ram
Premium Member
Premium Member

Short and Long day

Post by ag_ram »

Is there any functions avaialable to findout the short day and long day in a year? Otherwise can i anyone explain functionally how can one find the short and long day in a year?
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Do you mean the Winter and Summer Solistices? The shortest and longest days of the year? That depends on where you are.

I'm not aware of how one would calculate that. I would normally just look such a thing up in an almanac or ephemeris. Perhaps a Google search on 'solstice' would help.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
ag_ram
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by ag_ram »

chulett wrote:Do you mean the Winter and Summer Solistices? The shortest and longest days of the year? That depends on where you are.

I'm not aware of how one would calculate that. I would normally just look such a thing up in an almanac or ephemeris. Perhaps a Google search on 'solstice' would help.
This short day and long day concept is needed for california location. Any pointers are greatly appreciated.
thompsonp
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by thompsonp »

Do you mean the solstice or daylight saving long and short days?

Why don't you use a Calendar table and record these as attributes against each day?
ag_ram
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by ag_ram »

thompsonp wrote:Do you mean the solstice or daylight saving long and short days?

Why don't you use a Calendar table and record these as attributes against each day?
Absolute right.

Can you please more clear about the calendar table concept. How can I proceed?

thanks
kamal
thompsonp
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by thompsonp »

Absolutely right about what?

Are you talking about daylight savings days?

What database are you using?

Try investigating what functionality the database offers with regard to DST changes. If there is nothing built in create a Calendar table with attributes that specify if a day is a short, long or standard length day and then populate the table.
ag_ram
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by ag_ram »

thompsonp wrote:Absolutely right about what?

Are you talking about daylight savings days?

What database are you using?

Try investigating what functionality the database offers with regard to DST changes. If there is nothing built in create a Calendar table with attributes that specify if a day is a short, long or standard length day and then populate the table.

I am talking about day light saving. We are using oracle as target database. How cam i create a calender in datastage..?
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

The same way you'd do it in any other tool. :?

Since this isn't exactly a new concept, I'd suggest googling for something like 'populate calendar table' to find web resources. I've even been places where all relevant 'calendar' information was generated in Excel a year at a time, saved to a .csv and that was loaded into the calendar table.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers