ASCL_MS1252 error

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

jaya_joseph
Participant

ASCL_MS1252 error

Post by jaya_joseph »

Hi,

We are getting the warning "main_program: Invalid character conversion found converting to ASCL_MS1252, substituting." while running the parallel job more than once with the same file.(First run is successful)

The database which we are loading the file to is DB2 and we are using DB2/UDB API stage in our parallel job for this purpose.The execution mode is set to "Parallel" and the update action is "Insert new or update existing rows".
But when we run the job with the same file more than once,keeping the execution mode as "sequential", it is running fine without any warnings.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Welcome aboard.

I can only guess that ASCL_MS1252 is a reference to Ascential's implementation of Microsoft code page 1252 (US English).

Is there any more information in the job log?
What are your DataStage NLS settings?
Can you please post the EXACT error message (copy/paste), so that we can learn what it was substituting?
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
balajisr
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by balajisr »

The execution mode is set to "Parallel" and the update action is "Insert new or update existing rows".
This is not related to the error reported.

As far as i know it is not advisable to run DB2 API stage in parallel. When DB2 API stage is run in parallel records goes missing.
jaya_joseph
Participant

Post by jaya_joseph »

There are no other warnings other than "main_program: Invalid character conversion found converting to ASCL_MS1252, substituting."

We ran the job by putting sequential file stage instead of DB2 stage and it is running fine how many ever times we run the job with the same file.

If not DB2/UDB API stage which other stage is advisable?
balajisr
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by balajisr »

If not DB2/UDB API stage which other stage is advisable?
You can use DB2/UDB API stage in sequential mode. I did not mention that it is wrong to use DB2/UDB API stage.
jaya_joseph
Participant

Post by jaya_joseph »

We have already tried that.When we run the job in sequential mode it takes 8 hrs to complete the job.But it takes only around 4hrs to complete when it is in parallel.Is there any other solution which you could think of?