Oracle - Jobs Hanging

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

Raftsman
Premium Member
Premium Member

Oracle - Jobs Hanging

Post by Raftsman »

Could some using version 8.0.1 Windows environment please provide some feedback on their current stability using Oracle 10R2 as their database with Oracle 92 as their client. Is there anyone that has had datastage jobs accessing an Oracle database and their jobs hang for no reason. I talked to IBM support today and got no where with their engineer. I understand that we have unique environment but the problem is becoming a show stopper, the client is getting frustrated and I hope that someone out there can provide some assistance.

One area of concern I have is that the installation of 8.0.1 was performed as an upgrade and not a clean install. Could some fragments from 8.0 stillbe causing some issues.

Hopefully somebody can provide some positive feedback using Oracle as their DB. We are running a two node box.

P.S. I had hair before using this product.......
Jim Stewart
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Are you talking about using Oracle 10g as the Repository database for IBM Information Server, or just as a data source?
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Nothing unique about accessing a 10g database with a 9i client, we do that "all the time". Now... I specifically mean as source and target, we do not have 8 dot anything so are not using Oracle in that manner, if you mean for your Repository database.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
lstsaur
Participant

Post by lstsaur »

Jim,
If you have Oracle Enterpise Manager to use, then login the EM and go to Performance-->Top Consumers-->Hang Analysis. It will give you some clue regarding what is hanging (waiting) and why.

Second, check your Windows Task Manager-->Processes to see the CPU Usage. You might find that 100% of CPU Usage caused the problem.

When you said that "you have unique environment", can you elaborate a little bit more.

P.S. Losing your hair over using this product!? It should be the other way around; Sales person from IBM is the one who should be worrying about how to keep this product with your company.
Raftsman
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Raftsman »

First, 10G is our repository. As for our environment, I was just using unique environment in the context that nmot all organizations have the same configuration. As for this organization, it is pretty standard setup. DataStage installed on it's own server, database on another and links between product and database.

I will check the results from OEM and see if something can be found. This morning I am removing the LOAD, TRUNCATE on the Oracle stage as some of the errors sometimes come from there.

Thanks
Jim Stewart
G SHIVARANJANI
Participant

Post by G SHIVARANJANI »

Hi,

Once i got this problem Jobs got hanged up in RUN stage..

And that happened when i deleted the table and then left it without giving the commit command.

when i gave the commit command it worked fine.

Thanku
Shivaranjani