Build stage doubt

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

sudhirk63
Participant

Build stage doubt

Post by sudhirk63 »

Hi,
Am new to datastage and was interested in creating a generic build stage for my current project.
Currently the logic is build in a transformer. I might have some 50 jobs which more or less use the same logic. I want to create a re-usabe component for that logic.
My greatest challenge is in figuring out how to pass the columns on which I do not want the transformation to happen. For example , I might have input with 10 columns and only 2 out of the ten would under the transformation and rest eight columns should be passed to output as they are. Aso my number of input columns change in each job and also the number of columns on which I have to apply the transformation.
Is it something which can be built in datastage.
I see shared containers/build stage as my option, but they do not pass to the output all the columns, even though I use the column propagation feature. (May be I am missing something).
Please, let me know if some one has ideas on this or wants me to put in more details.

Thanks.

Sudhir
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

I use shared containers with RCP that accept all sort of different column contents and count in different jobs, acting only on the columns used in that container. Usually I will pass in the names of the columns as parameter and then create/remove temporary work columns in modify stages in the shared container.
but they do not pass to the output all the columns
But they do, with RCP enabled. Try a simple test case with sample data first and you will see that it does work correctly.