Additional sequential warnings

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

krystlecsy
Participant

Additional sequential warnings

Post by krystlecsy »

Hi all,

I am getting this warning message from the Director.
seqBSIS_2007,0: Import consumed only 228bytes of the record's 230 bytes (no further warnings will be generated from this partition)

seqBSIS_2007,0: Import warning at record 588736.
The problem is I want MORE of these warnings to pinpoint which record is giving me the errors but there doesn't seem to be a setting for that. Can anyone shed me some light on this?
balajisr
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by balajisr »

seqBSIS_2007,0: Import warning at record 588736.
You already have the record number as part of warning. :?

You can set reject mode of sequential file to output to get the list of records which do not conform to metadata as reject data.
krystlecsy
Participant

Post by krystlecsy »

The problem the warning message I've gotten is just showing one of the many records that is giving the import problem.

Is there any way besides rejecting the records? I just want to display all the warning in the Director log.
kumar_s
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kumar_s »

It shows atleast one waring per partition. I dont have access to document or PX right now. I vaguely recall that, there should be a APT variable with wich you can change this default settings. But not sure about it.
Impossible doesn't mean 'it is not possible' actually means... 'NOBODY HAS DONE IT SO FAR'
balajisr
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by balajisr »

Is there any way besides rejecting the records? I just want to display all the warning in the Director log.
I do not think so. Happy to be proven wrong.
krystlecsy
Participant

Post by krystlecsy »

I cannot find such environment variable that could set it to display all the warning msgs in the Director log. :(

Anyone can help?
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

All warnings are displayed in the job log, unless you have a maximum number of warnings set when the job is submitted to be run (usually 50). This can be set in the Job Run Options dialog when you submit a job to be run from Director, or using the -warn option in the dsjob command.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
krystlecsy
Participant

Post by krystlecsy »

The problem is that DataStage is not generating all of the warnings even if I set the the 'Warnings: No limit".

The situation is there are 100 records in a file and there are 20 records that has problem but DataStage only displays the 1st problemed record and the rest are ignored.
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

I don't know where you can change the value you are looking for. I haven't found it in the ENV variables or documented anywhere. If all warnings to go to the log file it might slow the job speed from "fast" all the way down to "glacial" or even slower, so it would be best to cater for this type of warning in the job itself instead of letting the logging mechanism take care of it.
kumar_s
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kumar_s »

Yes, the warning limit is only Abort the job after the given n warnings. But the case is its wont show up the warning at all. "no further warnings will be generated from this partition"
Impossible doesn't mean 'it is not possible' actually means... 'NOBODY HAS DONE IT SO FAR'
balajisr
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by balajisr »

Kumar,

I think OP is asking for EV or setting which will allow him to overcome the limitation of "no furthur warnings will be generated from this partition".
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Probably the only solution to this particular requirement is to read the file as a single VarChar column and parse it yourself within the job.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
krystlecsy
Participant

Post by krystlecsy »

We sort of had a workaround in detecting if the records has an import problem. Since the files being read is fixed width delimiter, we added an extra dummy column at the end and if the dummy column has a value, it would mean that the records read has characters that causes it to overrun and will be rejected.