Error in using Fileset

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

s_porkalai
Participant

Error in using Fileset

Post by s_porkalai »

When i try to transfer the data from sequential file to fileset it is showing error "Unable to parse fileset descriptor '/home/parunach/samp1.fs' parsing a dataset expecting fileset". Can anyone please help to rectify this error
Last edited by s_porkalai on Thu Jun 28, 2007 8:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
thanks & Regards
A.S.Porkalai Lakshmi
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Welcome aboard. :D

My first guess is that you used a Data Set stage rather than a File Set stage to create the File Set.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
s_porkalai
Participant

Post by s_porkalai »

no i haven't create the fileset in datastage job using create option in update mode. i have create fileset samp1.fs explicitly in unix enviorment and I am using fileset stage only not datset stage
thanks & Regards
A.S.Porkalai Lakshmi
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Please explain the precise process that you used to do this.
s_porkalai wrote:i have create fileset samp1.fs explicitly in unix enviorment
I do not believe that a true File Set can be created using UNIX commands.
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
crystal_pup
Participant

Same error

Post by crystal_pup »

Hi ,

Even i m tryin to accomplish the same thing....but same error is bugging me too...The error is as follows:

Dept_Write_File: Error when checking composite operator: In file set "/home/dwdv_kdo/kunal/Dept.fs": Parsing a dataset, expecting a fileset.

I have first created the required target file named ' Dept.fs' in UNIX in my home directory....n then i ran the job....But the job aborted bcos of the above error.
I tried a lot of options but cudnt get thru....Could u please tell me how to get rid of this?

Thanks,
Kunal
ArndW
Participant

Re: Same error

Post by ArndW »

crystal_pup wrote:...I have first created the required target file named ' Dept.fs' in UNIX in my home directory...
How did you do this?
Ragunathan Gunasekaran
Participant

Re: Error in using Fileset

Post by Ragunathan Gunasekaran »

I dont think so that fileset that you have created is the same as the one datastage creates for you . . . Manuall creating files is something different than you create a control file like fileset( ie fileset creation by datastage would have its own kind of information embedded in it )

Try using some diff's on both the files to identify whether the fileset created by you and the fileset created by datastage are different .

If they are different then for sure there is no way of creating a fileset manually .... You have to create that via datastage to rectify your error
Regards
Ragu
gbusson
Participant

Post by gbusson »

When u create a fileset, you have to create the descriptor .fs, and also the datafiles!

the desciptor tells the schema, and the name of the data files.
crystal_pup
Participant

Post by crystal_pup »

Hi,

I created the Dept.fs file by using touch command.Actually i developed one job wherein i read data frm a sequential file n wrote it to a Dataset....Tht time also i created the required 'Department.ds' file by using touch command & in the property of dataset i set Update Policy value to Overwrite.I ran the job n it worked fine.So i tried to achieve the same thing (in my other job wherein i read data frm sequential file n write it to a fileset)by first creating the 'Dept.fs' file by using touch command and then runnin the required job...But everytime it aborted with the reason which i have started in my earlier post.

Thanks,
Kunal
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

That is not how you create a File Set control file. The only valid way to create a File Set is to use a File Set stage with an input link.

Similar assertions apply to Data Set and to Lookup File Set.