zoned option in CFF

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

chesterkchu
Participant

zoned option in CFF

Post by chesterkchu »

Hi,

I am trying to use CFF to create EBCDIC format output files. I am trying to define a field to be PIC 9(8). I am using the options of:

Native type=DISPLAY_NUMERIC
Length=8
Scale=0
Level number=02
Usage=DISPLAY

However it creates the field as "zoned". I do not wish to carry the signed and decimal portion.

I want a value of 116, but the output shows 11F.
rcanaran
Premium Member
Premium Member

Re: zoned option in CFF

Post by rcanaran »

11F is HEX 'F1F1C6'. The numeric value read should still be 116.
chesterkchu
Participant

Post by chesterkchu »

Thanks for the reply! Yes, I do understand the Hex value is 'F1F1C6'. However we need the numeric value written out as 116, not 11F.
rcanaran
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by rcanaran »

Have you tried defining the field as PIC 9(3) in a cobol layout and then importing the layout to DS? I'm doing just that (but with PIC 9(13) and PIC 9(4)) and I'm getting full display numerics in the output from DS as well as when it uploads back to the mainframe.
chesterkchu
Participant

Post by chesterkchu »

Thanks for the reply again! I am able to view the output in DS as 116, however when viewing the EBCDIC file in a EBCDIC viewer (EBCDIC to ASCII converter - V Viewer and UltraEdit), the value shown is 11F. The hex value stated in previous posts states the reason why 11F is showing, but can I be guaranteed that the mainframe will receive the value of 116 as is? If so, is there any way to view the numeric value of 116 outside of DS? Thanks again!
rcanaran
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by rcanaran »

First, yes the mainframe COBOL layout PIC S9(3) will understand the 11F. It will get interpreted as a +116 instead of a -116.

But I have a DS parallel job where I imported the cobol layout with a PIC 9(4) -- notice there is no 'S' in the definition. And this uploads back as you wanted (hex F1F1F6). I believe that the C is an explicit positive, whereas the F is for an implicit positive or unsigned (D would be negative).
chesterkchu
Participant

Post by chesterkchu »

Thanks again! However, in the derived attributes there is no S either in my definition of PIC 9(8). The only thing that I notice is the zoned option shows up in the Parallel view of the layout. If the definition in the COBOL layout shows PIC 9(8), why would the implicit sign show up creating 11F?