BAPI times out with RFC Error: Time Limit exceeded

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

mlevinson
Participant

BAPI times out with RFC Error: Time Limit exceeded

Post by mlevinson »

When I runa BAPI stage and the job takes more than 20 minutes, I am getting the error below:

ExecSAPBAPITableTransform,0: Fatal Error: Fatal: RFC Error: Time limit exceeded.

Some people are telling me that we need to run this BAPI in the background? Not sure how to do that.
thebird
Participant

Re: BAPI times out with RFC Error: Time Limit exceeded

Post by thebird »

There would be a time-out period set on the R/3 side - causing the DataStage job to abort with the error that you get. Loks like the time out is set to some what close to 20 min in this case, making your job abort after 20 min.

You cannot run a BAPI in thebackground mode from DataStage... I believe this is possible only for the ABAP extract stage.

Are you triggering a Z-BAPI (custom BAPI) or is it a standard BAPI? Is it updating some tables?

One option is to increase the time out period, though I dont think that the BASIS folks are gonna be happy with this idea!

Aneesh

mlevinson wrote:When I runa BAPI stage and the job takes more than 20 minutes, I am getting the error below:

ExecSAPBAPITableTransform,0: Fatal Error: Fatal: RFC Error: Time limit exceeded.

Some people are telling me that we need to run this BAPI in the background? Not sure how to do that.