Sybase OCI Stage

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

abby
Participant

Sybase OCI Stage

Post by abby »

Hello All,

I am using Sybase OCI stage for database connectivity in our jobs. After searching through the earlier posts and queries I could not get a satisfactory answer to the following questions :

:?: 1. How does the Sybase OCI stage internally connects to the server. Are named pipes used in the OCI based database connections?

:?: 2. Sharing multiple links to/from the same OCI Stage results in a weird issue. It does not allow to save the metadata changes or user defined queries on different links. Sometimes it does it in many attempts. Is this issue still persisting in 7.5.1.A version and is there any solution to this problem?

Thanks in advance for your inputs.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

First off, it's the Sybase OC stage where 'OC' stands for Open Client. OCI is the Oracle stage. :wink:

1) The OC stage requires the actual Sysbase Open Client be installed on the DataStage server to function. DataStage leverages that to connect just like any other application would. How it works beyond that, I have no clue. Sounds like a DBA question to me. I doubt named pipes are part of the process.

2) I'll admit I haven't used the Sybase stage very much, but I have used it and have not had any 'weird issues' with anything, even when using multiple links. This with 7.5.1A so perhaps that answers your question. What is your current version?
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers