Moving from SUN to AIX

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

srimitta
Premium Member
Premium Member

Moving from SUN to AIX

Post by srimitta »

Hi All,

Existing:
We have DS 7.1 on SUN OS.

Proposed:
1). We have new AIX box with DS 7.5.1a on it.
2). Move all projects from DS 7.1 on SUN to DS 7.5.1a on AIX box.

Anybody has experianced any issues doing this kind of upgradation, I found DS Install & upgrade guide is useful if you are upgrading on same box from previous version to latest version.

Guys any info.....Please share details or steps to follow for this kind of upgradation.

Thanks
srimitta
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

At it's heart, it's no different than any other 'upgrade' from one server to another. Simpler in some ways than an 'in place' upgrade as you've still got your old version to fall back on. You've just got a new O/S adding a little wrinkle. :wink:

So, first step is to install the new version of DataStage on AIX. I suggest making sure 'it works' before you dump all of your old jobs on it. Perhaps create a dummy project and some small test jobs to ensure all is well. Nuke the play project then simply export all objects from the Sun projects and import them into the AIX box. Everything will get automatically upgraded during the process.

Things to consider. I said 'objects' and not 'jobs' specifically as you may have account based hashed files you need to migrate as well. That might be best handled using 'uvbackup' but as noted in another thread I'm not all that familiar with it. Pathed hashed files can typically be copied from one box to the other. Make sure you get all the bits, including the 'hidden' file inside any dynamic hashed file's directory.

Another question is are you doing anything that is operating system specific? Scripts and the like that may need to be 'translated' from Sun to AIX syntax? Most should come over unchanged, I would think, but the possibility exists that some may need to be tweaked.

All in all, though, it should be fairly painless. :D
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
srimitta
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by srimitta »

Hey Craig......Thanks 8) .